add file extension filter to existing job

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
cellist

add file extension filter to existing job

Post by cellist »

I created a new job and failed to set up filters for file extensions. I navigate to Sources>Filters>customize but I don't see where to add the file extensions.

[attachment=0]Diff-pl-xl-doc add file extensions filter.PNG[/attachment]
Attachments
Diff-pl-xl-doc add file extensions filter.PNG
Diff-pl-xl-doc add file extensions filter.PNG (111.28 KiB) Viewed 20074 times

Adrian (Softland)

Re: add file extension filter to existing job

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please set the filters from Backup Properties->Filters page.
Press Add (include or exclude) button.
Under "File name" section, select "Enable", then press Add. Type the file extensions (example: *.doc) and press OK. If you want to add multiple extensions, you need to add them one by one by pressing Add, type file extensions and OK.

cellist

Post by cellist »

Yes, i figured that out eventually.

In my opinion, this exemplifies a general shortcoming of the UI. If I want to do something with filters and I see button labelled Customize under Filters, it make 100% sense to me that it would take me to a dialog or screen where I can add or modify extensions. But that is not the case. The Add button is greyed-out. I've communicated this opinion previously and have been answered with words to the effect "Most users think the UI is just fine." It may seem obvious to folks who use the UI regularly but not to me. I've been told that version 7 has improvements to the UI but my issue isn't one of them.

Thanks.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The "Add" button is grayed out on the "Customize" page of the Filters.
That is because the Customize page is to refine the filters. With other words, the filters must be configured on Backup Properties->Filters page, but if you have let's say an exception, you MUST select the folder(s) you want to refine and then the Add button will be active so you can add the filter.

cellist

Post by cellist »

You're just saying that it should be obvious to me that Customize won't do what I want and I'm just saying No, it's not obvious to me. End of story. Working as designed.