restore: numbers+letters password not accepted to restore files from 7zip files

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
vongehlens

restore: numbers+letters password not accepted to restore files from 7zip files

Post by vongehlens » Wed May 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Hello dear community & B4A Support team,

we are using B4A since some time and now had situations where we had to use the restore functions as we´ve lost files during our upgrade from WindowsXP to Win7-64bit.

our users did made B4A backups regularly and these backups are protected with a password. Now once we want to restore files and enter our password, it it not accepting this password. First we thought it´s a user error as he/she did not used the correct password but it is not a user error.

Here is what we found:
We saw a problem with a user the other day, when he created a backup with a password of just letters he could restore it fine.
However when he mixed letters & numbers it would not recognise the password during restore.
This is definitively reproducible.
So we have a serious problem here as we have hundreds of users of B4A and don´t know, of course, who has mixed passwords (letters&numbers) and who doesn´t.

do you know this problem and do you know a solution?
thanks for your quick help!

best regards
Stephan

PS: we use...
Version: B4A pro v.4.6 build 253
target file: *.7z files

Support

Re: restore: numbers+letters password not accepted to restore files from 7zip files

Post by Support » Wed May 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi,

I cannot reproduce the problem here.
Please download and install build 4.7.270 and try again.
Do you have the same problem?

majuebv

Re: restore: numbers+letters password not accepted to restore files from 7zip files

Post by majuebv » Thu May 17, 2012 11:23 am

Hi,

we are using INI files to create the backup job by script. I had posted a question about the encrypted password in ini files about a year ago.

http://forum.backup4all.com/support-tro ... -t312.html

Please test using "Test1234" and remove one digit after each test. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. You never notice until you try to change/remove the password encryption or when you try to restore files. I didn't test long enough to see if there is a pattern or if it fails every time with the same password.

I will re-test with the newest version.

Thanks!

Manuel