Backup test never finishes

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
ddelbiondo

Backup test never finishes

Post by ddelbiondo »

I am backing up approxmatley 275,000 files totaling about 26 gigbytes. The zip files are split into 2 gigabyte files and ftp'ed to our network attached storage. The full backup of the files takes about 8 hours. I have the backup also set to test the backup. It seems to never finish. I let the process run for almost 24 hours before killing it. This is an unattended backup scheduled to run shortly after midnight.

Now for the questions,
Should the backup test take greater that 24 hours?
Is it necessary to test the backup?

Thank you,
David

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backup test never finishes

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The test is necessarily to determine if a backup was successful or not.
The test time should not be greater than the backup time, but that depends on the transfer speed, the computer usage during the process and so on.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

ddelbiondo

Post by ddelbiondo »

Is it recommended to test the backup to see if there are any errors? Basically, if I choose not to test the backup, how big of a gamble am I taking?

I am going to perform a few speed tests to see if that is the issue.

Thanks,
David

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

If you don't run the test you won't know if something is wrong.
For example, backing up on a dvd disk without test is more risky than backing up to a local hard drive.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

ddelbiondo

Post by ddelbiondo »

I have been trouble shooting why the test portion of my backups seem to never finish. I have a backup of some of our archived email. It is approximately 5.5 GB in size and has 102708 files in it. I decided to run a manual test on the backup. The download of the zip files took about 45 minutes. Now I am watching each file being tested. Most of the files are 20KB or less. It is taking 1 to 3 seconds to check each one. At this rate, if it takes each file 1 second to be checked. It will take approximately 28.5 hours to complete. Worst case is 3 seconds each, it will take approximately 85 hours to complete.

Do I have an incorrect setting somewhere in the program. I cannot believe this is running normal. I expected the test of the individual files to run much faster.

Any help will be appreciated.

David

(Edit)

I tried another backup. It is 1.02 GB and has 26771 files in it. Once downloaded all of the files were tested in less than 5 minutes. This is about 90 files per second. More what I would expect. So what could be the problem with the other one?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please send us the last backup log for both backup jobs to support[at]backup4all[dot]com
You can find those files if you select the backup job and go to View->Job Logs->Last backup log.

Do you used the same backup type?