Approximate size of backup

Tell us what you think about Backup4all and what would make it even better.
Edward

Approximate size of backup

Post by Edward »

I would like to see the approximate size of a backup BEFORE the backup is started.

I backup to external media such as blu-ray disk.

Each blu-ray disk can record about 25 GB.

If I assume a compression ratio of about 1.5, then I can record about 37.5 GB of data on one blu-ray disk.

If Backup4All shows an approximation of the backup size, I will know whether to set aside one or more blu-ray disks.

This is important to know beforehand.

For example, if I know that the backup will be recorded on just one blu-ray disk, I can start the backup process to run overnight and I do not need to monitor the process.

However, if the backup will extend over more than one blu-ray disk, I must monitor the process and insert the next disk when required. In this case, I would not do the backup over night.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Approximate size of backup

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You can calculate the statistics for next backup if you go to Statistics view. That will give you the size of the sources to be backed up.
We cannot give you an approximate size for the compressed backup because different file types can be compressed to a different percent. Some files can be compressed to 5% while other file types cannot be compressed at all.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Edward

Post by Edward »

Support wrote:Hi,

You can calculate the statistics for next backup if you go to Statistics view. That will give you the size of the sources to be backed up.
Yes, that is correct. The Statistics View will have the information for the NEXT backup.

However, I require that information, BEFORE, the start of the "Adding/Burning" portion of the backup to blu-ray disks. I like to know how many blu-ray disks to set aside, before, starting the backup process.

The total number of files/folders is known, before the actual burning process starts. Why not provide that information to the user.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

What you require is a compressing simulation which is not so fast. That is not possible at this moment in Backup4all.
You can now see the size of the uncompressed source files. That should help you to estimate how many disks you'll need.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Edward

Post by Edward »

Backup4All does not show the uncompressed size of he backaup BEFORE the backup starts.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

In the attached image, you can see that Backup4all will calculate the uncompressed size of the backup, before it actually starts.
Attachments
Statistics view
Statistics view
image.JPG (50.8 KiB) Viewed 9265 times

Edward

Post by Edward »

As your example clearly states "Calculate statistics for next backup (Ctrl+F5)" , the uncompressed size of the backup to be performed is based on information from a previous or past or last backup.

If one is doing a backup for the first time, Backup4All does not provide any information about the size of the backup, until after the backup is completed.

In 2008, a reviewer of Backup4All had similar comments.

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/r ... p4all.html

"Limited real-time feedback is provided during the backup process. Only shows total % and current file progress. Doesn't show total files, total MB, total compressed MB, compression ratio, estimated end time, estimated splits, file transfer bandwidth, etc."

I would like to cease this dialogue because it is leading to no solution. I have nothing further to say.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

I cannot agree with you. If you don't belive what I am saying, you can create a new backup job for tests and press the Calculate statistics for next backup (Ctrl+F5) button before running the first backup. You'll see that the size information is provided for this case too.

The review was done for Backup4all 3.
We are now talking about Backup4all 4 which is much improved than Backup4all 3.

Edward

Post by Edward »

Yes, you are correct. I was wrong.

I just checked your suggestion to try (Ctrl + F5). That procedure did show me the backup statistics for a new backup.

The "Calculate statistics for next backup (Ctrl +F5)" is on page 72 of the Backup4All user manual.

I missed that point in the user manual.

Thank you for clarifying this point.