How to merge backups?

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
LuP

How to merge backups?

Post by LuP »

Hello,

suppose having:

- full backup - 1.1.2000
- incr backup 1 - 2.1.2000
- incr backup 2 - 3.1.2000
- incr backup 3 - 4.1.2000

Is there a way how to merge all/selected backups so that the full backup is "updated" in the way that all/selected incremental backups are added to the full backup and so the [no more needed] incremental backups are removed ("forgotten")?

In the example above - so that a full backup to 4.1.2000 is made from the one of 1.1.2000 and all later increments? So to have:

- full backup - 4.1.2000

TIA.

LuP

Adrian (Softland)

Re: How to merge backups?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The full backup type will make a new backup with all backup sources existing at that moment. It does not merge with older backups.
If you want to keep existing versions from the previous incremental backups, you should continue creating incrementals but limit the number of stored backups to 3 and select the merge option. This way, when the next backup is created, all incrementals will be merged into a new one, preserving the latest version for each file.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

LuP

Post by LuP »

Hello,

[quote="Support"]... creating incrementals but limit the number of stored backups to 3 and select the merge option. This way, when the next backup is created, all incrementals will be merged into a new one, preserving the latest version for each file.[/quote]

glad to here that there is such functionality.

However, its run is conditioned by rules defined in the backup scheme (number of incrementals, "merge" option).

Would it be possible to allow this function "on demand", from menu?

LuP

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

That is not possible.
I will put your request on the Wishlist.

LuP

Post by LuP »

Thanks.

Where in the wishlist would I find the new feature request/idea?

I looked into feedback-wishlist-f7/ but I'm not sure it's the proper forum; the last post there is from 3/2012.

Could a link to the request/idea be provided here?

LuP

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

We have a Wishlist on our internal system. That is where I posted it.
You can create a post in the Wishlist section of the forum, if you want.