Restore backups after partition restore

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Hikari

Restore backups after partition restore

Post by Hikari »

Hello everybody. I have been using B4a for years, and now I upgraded my PC and upgraded B4a too to version 8 and configured it to backup configs of tens of apps. But I have a question.

I'm using another tool to backup Win partition. I wanna keep this backup clean and restore it at least once a month. And after I restore it, I want also to restore some of my B4a backups, so that these configs are restored to their latest settings, not those from the Win partition backup.

This is specially important for B4a's own backup, because if I add a new job I don't wanna lose it.

So, say I keep Windows working normally for 1 month, and B4a doing its daily backups. During this time I add a new job to it, and later it backs up itself. When I restore Win partition, I suppose B4a will forget this new job, but will still keep track of latest backups done from other jobs and be able to restore them, right?

Then should I first restore B4a's own backup, and then restore all jobs? What's the best procedure?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Restore backups after partition restore

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Among the other backup jobs in Backup4all, you must have a backup for the Backup4all configurations (for this job you must use only the catalog from destination. In Backup Properties->Advanced page, uncheck the "Use local catalogs" option).
When you restore Windows, you will have in Backup4all the backup jobs and the most important: the Backup4all configurations job.
You fist need to restore that job (as not using the local catalog for that job, it will load the catalog from the backup destination, which is not overwritten by the Windows restore), so all backup jobs will have their last version of the catalog. This way you can restore the other backup jobs too.

Hikari

Re: Restore backups after partition restore

Post by Hikari »

Thanks, I'll try that.

I just restored Win backup, and noticed that all backups I had done in past few days aren't listed on Clean list, and indeed the last job I created is lost.

I configured and you suggested and created a new full backup of B4a, I hope next time I restore Windows it will work.