New to Backup4All and unclear on "Block Backup"

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
justinhow

New to Backup4All and unclear on "Block Backup"

Post by justinhow »

So I have just started a trial on Backup4All and it looks really interesting.
I am not quite clear on the Use Block Backup option. I set this up to do 50Mbytes blocks on a Smart backup and I assumed the backup files would be split into 50Mbytes chunk. This did not happen. I still got 5Gbyte ZIP files (As I selected to split the ZIP's).
Can anyone explain to me what is happening here?
Using B4All (v9.8 build 725) on Windows Server 2019

Adrian (Softland)

Re: New to Backup4All and unclear on "Block Backup"

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The "Block backup" option is about the changes you make in a large file.
For example, a .PST file of 10 GB is modified in small parts.
If no "block backup" option is used, the file is detected as modified and the entire file (10 GB) will be backed up again.
If you use "block backup" option, Backup4all will detect which blocks were modified and it will back up only the modified blocks.
The blocks represents the parts of the large file which will be considered for analyze. The size can be set up before the first backup execution. Backup4all will analyze the source file and will identify the blocks.
Many blocks will take longer to be processed. Less blocks will take less time to be processed.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

justinhow

Post by justinhow »

Hi Adrian, thanks for that clear explanation

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

If you have any other questions, please let us know.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

justinhow

Post by justinhow »

I thought of a possible change.
When you take the option to clean a backup and tick "delete all existing files in destination folder" perhaps you should then be able to edit block config details before the next backup runs. I don't think currently this is the case is it?
I am trying to think of a way to edit "block" config on an existing backup. I understand you can not when any destination files exist of course. Any ideas?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

The situation you describe will start with a complete new backup.
It is the same case when you create a duplicate of the current job and edit the settings before running the first backup execution.