How to Upgrade

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Crackers

How to Upgrade

Post by Crackers »

What is the recommended procedure to upgrade from Backup4All Professional 4 to Backup4All Professional 5 on Windows? Surprisingly, this information is not included in Backup4All's own knowledgebase.

Crackers

Re: How to Upgrade

Post by Crackers »

I figured it out!

Backup4All can't be upgraded. That's why there aren't any instructions for this in the knowledgebase. I guess the developers haven't figured out how to upgrade software? You have to install Backup4All 5 separately, then import your backup jobs from Backup4All 4 into Backup4All 5. Then you can, if you wish, uninstall Backup4All 4.

And how do you import your backup jobs from 4 to 5? I thought File > Import from version 4 would do it. Sounds logical, right? It does have the word "import" right there. But no -- that's not how to import your backup jobs. If you try that you'll get the comical error message: "There are no compatible applications installed on this computer."

And if you think you can fool the program by selecting a .bkc file and then "Open with" Backup4All, you'll get another error message: "Invalid parameters."

By experimenting I figured out that if you want to import your previous backup definition files you have to open (File > Open from...) each previous .bkc file in turn. That works just fine except that any schedule information in the previous .bkc is lost, so you'll have to setup your schedules all over again.

BTW, if you're looking for your backup groups from version 4, forget it. Groups are gone in v.5, replaced by tags.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: How to Upgrade

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Backup4all 4 and Backup4all 5 are different applications, that is why they are installed different.
This is how they were designed to work as different applications. In version 5, the entire application was redesigned and also the processes are running differently.

The import of the backup jobs, settings and tasks should work from the File->Import from version x
If you get the message that there is no compatible application installed, it means that for some reasons the old application cannot be found by the import process.

The method you used (to open all the .bkc catalog files from the backup destination) is also a way to import the jobs from the old version.