Backup rotating scheme to USB disks

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
angelo_lopes

Backup rotating scheme to USB disks

Post by angelo_lopes »

Dear Support

In the continuation of post support-trouble-f7/access-is-denied-run ... html#p4407,
I want to backup to external drives and rotate them weekly.
What backup options do you recommend?
- Not to use Local catalogs? and more?
- Smart backup type combine full, differential and incremental types with cleanup actions. To restore a complete folder I accidentally delete, I need both USB drives, right? Will Backup4all ask me for the "second" drive?
- How is this done, please?

Thanks in advance.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backup rotating scheme to USB disks

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You are correct: you need to uncheck the "Use local catalogs" option from Backup Properties->Advanced page.
The backups from each destination drive you use in the rotation scheme will be independent on the others.

For restore, you will need to connect the drive on which the backup was executed in the day you want to restore the file to. For example: if you need the file version from Monday, you need to connect the external drive on which the Monday backup was executed. You won't be asked for the other drive as the backups are independent.

The backup type you select can be Smart, in which case you no longer need to configure Cleanup actions as the Smart backup type will automatically decide to merge backups or delete older versions in order to fit the backups in destination.

angelo_lopes

Re: Backup rotating scheme to USB disks

Post by angelo_lopes »

Works like a charm! Thank you very much :D

Kind regards, Angelo