Compression methods choice

Tell us what you think about Backup4all and what would make it even better.
Blower

Compression methods choice

Post by Blower »

It would be most convenient to be able to compress files with 7z directly from the program without having to use a third party to do it first by hand (non automatic mode).

Zip does not have a very effective compression ratio, while 7z has the best available and also allows for solid compression, very useful for larger files, as well as many advantages absent in Zip.

A nice and very useful feature for backups to add to a good program.

As it is we have to use a third party.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Compression methods choice

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

We will think about that, but at this moment it is not possible to add 7zip compression.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Blower

Post by Blower »

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. Your reply shows your wish to keep making good things better.

qwsa

Post by qwsa »

I think you definitely need to think more than twice before not considering to implement 7zip compression. I don't know license issues yet 7zip seems to be free and does hell a lot better job compared to ordinary zip b4all using. I've tried your soft, despite superior interface compared to its rivals, some of them have 7zip compression which is major if you're going to do "regular" backups...

Current b4all can satisfy novice backupers yet it will definitely dissatisfy veterans whom have seen 7zip superiority...