Initial Differential always full? even after initial full?

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
hurtlocker

Initial Differential always full? even after initial full?

Post by hurtlocker »

Hello
I have just created 2 "Backups" as Administrator on the same Server - in the same Group
1) = Name="Backup full" - type full and
2) = Name="Backup diff" - type diff
I ran 1) and it created the full as expected
I immediately ran 2) and it created a full list of files again.
The Group name is the same (default "My Backup Jobs")
an immediate running of 2) again then lists a MUCH smaller set of files.
Should not the initial differential take the initial full in to account?
I plan on scheduling the 2 different jobs ("Backup full" once weekly) and ("Backup diff" every other day)

I do see in the target folder (a NAS Drive)
2 folders "Backup diff" and "Backup full"
AND!! 2 catalogs "Backup diff.bkc" and "Backup fill.bkc"

Don't they "talk" to each other? I am NOT using set archive bit anywhere. Don't want to use that old technique.
What am I doing wrong?

Maybe I just create ONE Name="Backup" and have 2 schedules on the same "Name"
1) = Action Backup -> type full (of course once weekly) and
2) = Action Backup -> type diff (every other day)
Then it will use the same "Backup.bkc" catalog.

Did I just answer my own question? Sorry - but It takes about 2 hours per full to test.. so I ask now
and I have 10 (LAB) systems to set up and want to start in the right direction and get all 10 finished
I do think YOUR PRODUCT IS PHENOMINAL FOR my developer's DATA and its support of Open files. (Shadow Copy support)
I run Server 2008 R2 and use built in - "Windows Backup Server" - Bare Metal every night - (for BMR (and tested)) (only get ONE latest if using a NAS)
I also use Server 2008 R2 - freely available winpe and WAIK - ImageX for ColdBackups (when Maintenance Window is available)

So "Backup4All Professional 4.6" supplements just what I am missing.
I DO PLAN ON BUYING 10 COPIES within 2 weeks when I verify I can get this purring along.

Only One thing... Would be nice to browse for restore instead of guessing the date only to find it is not there in the .zip. (small inconvienience) (and I saw it mentioned in this forum somewhere already)

Thank you,
Randy S.
Last edited by hurtlocker on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hurtlocker

Re: Initial Differential always full? even after initial full?

Post by hurtlocker »

Still need help
Using a smaller save set I am able to shorten my test cycles.
Using the Scheduler I can force FULL versus DIFF
However:
1) The type always says FULL (the default) in the log file
(even though the 3rd Column "Action" field listed in the Schedule is defined as "Differential backup" and behaves as differential)
2) I was also hoping to have 2 different .zip files using different "INSERT TAGS" when I define the schedule
to identify which .zip is from which type of backup on the same Backup NAME (I know I could just look at the size)
for example <DATE>_<TIME>_full to create 2011-12-01_1506_full.3_C.zip
and <DATE>_<TIME>_diff to create 2011-12-01_1506_diff.4_C.zip
But the "INSERT TAGS" definition seems to be only the Checked "Select as Default" per Backup NAME
(in fact I had to temporarily Check Select as default to even input to the "INSERT TAGS" field)(Then uncheck)
4) When I define "Schedule Properties -> Action -> O Backup -> type and select a type (Diff or Full depending on the schedule definition) click "OK" and go back it is always reverted back to Type -> "Default"
5) both Schedules are Checked as active and work accordingly

So the action is correct but the .zip filename and log information is troublesome

And since the .bkc 's don't talk to each other under the same Destination folder I do not see the use of defining separate Backup NAMES (one for full and one for diff) as mentioned initially in this thread.

Should I be looking at COMMAND LINE Execution? But I don't see the naming of the ZIP file as a parameter.
I really don'y want to trick the job using "run before" to manipulate any .ini files.

All I want to do is once weekly a full and the rest differential -> AND reflect that in the Log and know which .zip is which.

Any comments are MUCH MUCH appreciated.

hurtlocker

Post by hurtlocker »

OK
I have found that I missed there is a "INSERT TAG" for backup type Included in .zip file name
i.e. Constant_<BACKUP NAME>_<DATE>_<TIME>_<BACKUP TYPE>

And <BACKUP TYPE> Does "follow what the ACTION in the Scheduler is...

ONLY THING MISSING NOW is a CORRECT REFLECTION of Backup TYPE in the Log File
It stays Contant with the "Default Backup Type" not the Scheduled Action Type

I hope this beginner's thread helps someone - However this thread can be Archived

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. Please note the backup jobs are independent. The first execution of a differential or incremental backup type is always a full backup. That is the starting point and after that differential/incremental backups will be performed.

If you want to run daily differentials and weekly full backups, you need to create two schedule tasks for the same backup job: one will have full type and will be scheduled to run once a week and the second one will be differential and will run every day.
See this video tutorial: https://www.backup4all.com/backup-strategy-scheduled-daily-differential-backups-and-weekly-full-backups-kb.html
Or read this article: https://www.backup4all.com/using-backup4all-faq-8-kb.html#bookmark18

2. To restore a single file, there is no need to guess the date. You can browse the files in Explore view of Backup4all. Select the file you want to restore and you'll see in the bottom: all available versions for that file. Right click a version and select "Restore".
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

hurtlocker

Post by hurtlocker »

Actually - If using the same Backup NAME
No matter what the Default is.

If one schedules the first Action to be full - (1st weekly)
then the first Differential will be a Differential (as expected) - (1st dailey)

Its all about whats in the .bkc - I get it.

(you are about to get an order for 8-10 licenses)

Thanks.