Replacing older backups

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
delrayvets

Replacing older backups

Post by delrayvets »

Hi. New user here, so excuse my ignorance :D
I am using the Professional Version 4.6 (build 255) with Windows Server 2008. I am doing a full back up every night to an external hard drive. The backups are about 90GB and the hard drive is 1.5TB. I just have one backup job called "Daily Backup". When the drive fills up, I would like the oldest backup to be deleted automatically, so that there is enough room for the new backup. Is there a setting somewhere to delete the oldest full backup automatically, as needed, to free up the necessary space? Thanks for your help

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Replacing older backups

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You can set Backup4all to automatically delete the old backups, keeping only a specified number of backups.
To do that, please open Backup Properties->Types.
Select the "Yes, limit number of backups" and type a number.
For full backups, you should uncheck the "Merge backups" option.
Press Save.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

delrayvets

Post by delrayvets »

Thanks for your quick reply, but I must be missing something (simple I'm sure!). When I open up Backup4all Professional, I see my only job listed on the left, "Daily Backup". It is already highlighted. When I click on the Properties button on the toolbar it brings up the Daily Backup - Backup Properties window. Under "Type" in the left pane, Full is highlighted. I see no option for "Yes, limit the number of backups". My only options appear to be "Insert Tag" and "Preview". Where is the option to limit the number of backups?
Thanks for the hand-holding

delrayvets

Post by delrayvets »

Doh!
Nevermind, I found it - right where you said it would be. I was right looking at the properties window for "Full", rather than for "Type". Thanks again for your help. :oops: