overwrite filenames

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
bigdawg9950

overwrite filenames

Post by bigdawg9950 »

hi i am looking at your software

i would like to know how to overwrite filenames

i would like to have the same filename and overwrite the previous file for the next day

i am backing up accounting files everyday in there own folder like mon tue wed ...
and need to overwrite the existing filename in the folder -
this way we have backups for the week - its an easy restore when the accounting dept wants to roll back
then i ftp the zip file to an offsite location as well
i also do an incremental on the files as well

thx wayne

Adrian (Softland)

Re: overwrite filenames

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The only way to overwrite the old files is to use the Mirror backup type.
It does not keep track of multiple file versions because it overwrites the modified files.
Every time you run a backup, it only copy new and modified files over the existing files.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

bigdawg9950

Post by bigdawg9950 »

i tried the mirror and also tried the mirror zipping files

i thought by zipping the files it would zip the root folder of the backup but it looks like it only zips all the files inside the root folder

is this correct?

thx wayne

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

hi,

If you added the root folder in the backup sources, it will zip that folder.
If you added the files and folders under the root folder, those files/folders will be zipped.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html