Spanning for internal drives??

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Bobeggy

Spanning for internal drives??

Post by Bobeggy »

I'm trying to back up my server to external hard drives. The drives plug in to an external eSATA dock. The OS (Windows Home Server) sees the external drive as an internal drive. I need to use disk spanning. Unfortunately, the software doesn't seem to allow disk spanning with internal hard drives. Is there a way around this? I won't hook the drives up via USB as it already took 3 full days to fill up the first 2TB drive using eSATA. USB would probably double that time and I still have another 3TB to go after that giving me a two week backup time. (ouch!).
I am performing a mirror only as any kind of zipping would take too long.
I would really like to purchase this software, but it has to fill my needs first.

Thanks for any help!

TD

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Spanning for internal drives??

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

When you connect an eSATA drive in Windows, it won't be visible in Windows Explorer until you restart your OS. That is why you cannot use disk spanning with such devices.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Bobeggy

Post by Bobeggy »

There are utilities available that will allow me to use my eSATA dock/drive as a removable drive without a reboot, as SATA is hot swappable.
Can you add a feature allowing the user to override whether a drive type can be spanned or not?
I'm sure I won't be the only one with this setup to look into your software.
Depending on how you implement the spannable/not spannable feature in your software it might be an easy change.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

We added your feature request on our To-Do list.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Bobeggy

Post by Bobeggy »

Even though the feature is not implemented yet I will be placing my order before the week is over.
Thank you very much for doing this.