Only launch with tray icon

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Bexer

Only launch with tray icon

Post by Bexer »

Hi, I just want the tray icon to show when starting up my computer. But In settings, if I don't have Start at Windows checked and do have Show Tray Icon checked, the tray icon won't be there on startup. Any ideas on how to just start up the computer with only the B4A tray icon? Thanks!

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Only launch with tray icon

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

What version of Backup4all do you have?
Only the "Show tray icon" option needs to be checked.
Also please make sure the btray.exe process is not disabled in Task Manager->Startup tab.

Bexer

Post by Bexer »

Version is 8.7 Build 331. I'm wondering if the problem is related to the other startup error messaging I'm getting that I asked about in another post. Everything seems properly enabled in Startup. With Startup with Windows unchecked and Show Tray Icon checked, I get this error box:

Cannot start Backup4all tray agent
restoring configs

I can click it away and launch B4A manually and everything's fine, both main interface and tray icon start normally.

If I have _both_ checked, I get two error modals: the tray one and an exception access error. Again, if I click them both away, I can launch B4A without problems.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (13.21 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (37.89 KiB) Viewed 3511 times

Bexer

Post by Bexer »

Things seems to be working again. After unchecking _all_ the startup options and rebooting the computer, I was able to launch B4A with no errors. I did this twice just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. When I checked "Show tray icon" and rebooted again, the tray icon appeared with no error modals. Interestingly, even before the errors, that tray icon toggle wouldn't work unless I also had Start at Windows Startup checked. At any rate, I think the issue might be resolved. That would apply to the other thread also. :D

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

I'm glad the problem is solved. It must have been an external factor causing the problem. I cannot tell which (Windows update, another application update)

Bexer

Post by Bexer »

Well, I spoke to soon! With Start at Windows Startup UNchecked and Show Tray Icon checked, I'm still getting the following error modal on startup:

Cannot Start Backup4All tray agent
Restoring configurations

If I go into my start menu and launch Bacjup4All Task Notifier manually, it loads fine. I can even restart the computer and it will load fine on its own, but the problem seems to happen when I do a cold boot. Ideas?

BTW, I'm on the trial version, if that matters. Latest build.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please check the antivirus and make sure that process is not blocked at startup.

Bexer

Post by Bexer »

I'm using Norton and history shows no action or warnings against B4A.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please put btray.exe and all Backup4all exe files in the exceptions list of the antivirus.
Then try again to set the startup options.

Bexer

Post by Bexer »

Hey,

I'm afraid that didn't help. If I look in the Task Manager, B4A main service is running. And again, if I close the error pop-up I can launch the "Backup4all Taskbar Notifier" from the start menu just fine. I suppose the next step would be to see if other programs are interfering with B4A by excluding them from startup one by one.
Attachments
tempsnip.png
tempsnip.png (35.06 KiB) Viewed 3436 times