Restoring

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
startail

Restoring

Post by startail »

Hi!

I'm new to Backup4all and are currently evaluating the test version. I'm currently running a testbackup to see how it works and if it works good for me.

My main question is regarding the zip archives that are created. It's stated on the website that Backup4all uses standard zip archive methods, thus you can recreate from them with any kind of software. Is that true also if you use 128-bit (or other) encryption and password protected archives? I'm also using Smart backup (that uses incremental I guess), with archive sizes of 100MB blocks so they don't grow to big since I'm using an online service to store these. Will I later be able to download all the archives later and just open them up with a decent Zip archive reader and be able to restore all my files? This is just a "in case of anything" scenario if Backup4all disappears or something like that.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Restoring

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Yes, that is correct. You can extract the archives with any zipping tool which is also able to handle the encryption you used.

startail

Post by startail »

Thank you for your reply.

I have a follow up question regarding archive sizes.
I understand that if you have a file bigger than the archive size you will get the file multiple times when unpacking, making you required to merge these by hand if you unzip them. Does this also apply if you use your software? Can't your software do this automaticly?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Of course Backup4all will restore that file without additional steps. Backup4all will automatically merge the necessarily splits in order to get you the exact source files.