preparing shadow copy . . . please wait

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.

Re: preparing shadow copy . . . please wait

Post by Guest »

Hi, It appears that build 218 is still having the same problem with looping in the "preparing shadow copy" phase on windows 7 systems. Both of my Win7 systems have spent over 10 hours of clock and cpu time in that phase and are still going. My XP systems spent 15 seconds each in the preparing shadow copy phase. Your program is still accumulating I/O other counts of over 120 million with I/O read and I/O write counts of 2400 to 2900. The various sysinternals programs show no disk I/O, no process events, and not much of anything else happening, except of course for the 77 trillion plus cpu cycles consumed. b4aCmd.exe is using 100% of one CPU on each of my win 7 systems producing absolutely nothing.

Is there any way I can get a copy of the build which was released prior to 213. Every build you have released from 213 on, has failed to perform backups correctly. If you can't either fix your software or make a working (even though old) release available, I will have to abandon my investment of money (insignificant) and time (massive) in your product and search for an alternative from a company which provides working software. Your software while providing many features, most of which I don't use, fails miserably at providing the core fuctionality of backing up files. All the other features are useless if the program doesn't do backups and since the beginning of July, it doesn't.

Best Regards, Gerry

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Can you give us access to your computer using TeamViewer? If yes, please send us the ID and pass to support[at]backup4all[dot]com
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

mars-vie

Post by mars-vie »

Installed current version v. 4.4.218 Standard
Nothing changed - still the same problem --> "Preparing shadow copy . . . please wait"

Windows 2003 server - R2 standard edition SP2
Mirror backup
Mcafee
backup folder set as excluded from scanning
Had to kill the process again

cioman2

Post by cioman2 »

On Win7-64bit. Same problem. I agree with the poster above. If you can't fix it, offer a refund. M

cioman2

Post by cioman2 »

Hi all,

Here is one solution, that worked for me:

For any backup script, right-click > Properties > Advanced > Backup options > uncheck mark 'Backup open files'.

Hope this helps.

BW

markmardon

Post by markmardon »

I'm having the exact same problem... app spins (in this case for 13 hours before I finally killed it) while displaying "preparing shadow copy... please wait". So far, this is an unimpressive tool.

shrinkrapt

Post by shrinkrapt »

I am using Ver. 4.4 build 218. I am attempting my first backup, and so far it has been building a shadow copy for 4 hours.

shrinkrapt

Post by shrinkrapt »

shrinkrapt wrote:I am using Ver. 4.4 build 218. I am attempting my first backup, and so far it has been building a shadow copy for 4 hours.
addendum...Win 7 pro, 64 bit.

shrinkrapt

Post by shrinkrapt »

16 hours, now. This program doesn't work.

shrinkrapt

Post by shrinkrapt »

Got it running, I take it back. Use the "run as adminstrator" option.