Will not do a manual mirror backup of a job

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Harry E

Will not do a manual mirror backup of a job

Post by Harry E »

I have an external hard drive (H) that all my working jobs are on. When I leave the office I put the external drive (H) in the safe (unlocked) that I use for fire issues.

I have another external hard drive (K) that I use to backup H drive as a mirror backup.

The past two times I have taken the external K drive and attached it to the computer (from another safe) to mirror backup my H external drive, and when I choose my backup "Home Backup" in the jobs group, and click backup, the backup screed flashes then goes almost immediately to the Backup4all professional dialog box. No matter how many times I click the backup icon on the top of the dialog box, there is an immediate flash of the backup screen and goes immediately back to the basic dialog box.

What is going on? Please help!

:?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Will not do a manual mirror backup of a job

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please send me the last backup log from View->Job Logs->Last backup log, to support[at]backup4all[dot]com

Harry E

Post by Harry E »

I think I found what the problem was. When setting up my original backup, I did not check, "Lock the destination to this external hard drive." When I plugged in my 2nd external drive I bet that it assigned it a different drive letter. Is this possible?

I do all my work on a "master external drive", then at the end of the day I put the Master drive in the safe for fire protection. Once a week I do a backup of the Master external drive to another external drive.

My question is this, Since I am backing up an external drive to another external drive, what should I do to make sure that there is not a problem with the master external drive? Will the Master external drive always have the same drive letter?

Thanks for your help

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

If you check the option to lock the destination to that external drive, that means you lock the destination to THAT external drive.
The serial number of the external drive is stored and Backup4all will automatically recognize it, even if it has a different drive letter.
If you use another external drive and it has another drive letter, Backup4all won't recognize it as the backup destination you wanted to use.