What can I expect from running Cleanup job?

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
BradI

What can I expect from running Cleanup job?

Post by BradI »

Hi,

I created a full backup of my computer to an FTP site back in January. Since then, I've been backing up changes incrementally.

Since I am using a whole lot of space on the FTP server, I was wanting to know a best practices for a cleanup routine?

If I run a cleanup backup right now, what exactly happens to my full and incremental backups? For example, if I choose "clean up everything prior to March, 2010" what gets deleted?

Thanks for your recommendations on this issue. :)

Adrian (Softland)

Re: What can I expect from running Cleanup job?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please follow these steps:
1. Open Backup4all.
2. Go to Actions menu and select Clean
3. Select Older than and specify a date.
4. The backups to be deleted according to your filter will be checked in the left box.
This way you can see which backups will be deleted when you apply a condition.
Please note you should not delete the last full backup as all subsequent backups will be deleted too, even if they were created recently. An incremental backup without the full backup it is based on, cannot be completely restored.
5. Press the Clean button.

You can also schedule a cleanup action in order to delete backups older than a specified period of time.

If you need further assistance configuring the scheduled cleanup, please let us know.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

BradI

Post by BradI »

Ok, thanks I see what you are saying. But what I am confused about is if I have backups like this:

Full
incremental 1
incremental 2
incremental 3
incremental 4
incremental 5

What happens to the backed up files inside of incremental 2 if I delete incremental #2? Are they re-backed up during the next backup cycle or something or are they not backed up anymore at all?

Thanks

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

They will be backed up when you run the backup.
Please note the deletion has to be done in Backup4all, not manually in destination.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

dennish

Post by dennish »

Is there some kind of merge function? Suppose that we have a full, and a lot of incrementals.

Full
incremental
incremental
incremental
incremental
incremental <-- target date
incremental
incremental

I would like to merge the Full and all of the necessary incrementals up thru the target date into a new full that would be a snapshot as of the target date.

Thanks,

Dennis

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

You can merge the incremental backups but the condition is to merge all of them until the execution date.
To do that, please open Backup Properties->Type.
Select "Yes, limit number of backups" option and also set the maximum limit number.
When you run the backup it will create an incremental backup by merging the existing incrementals which will be deleted.

If you run a Full backup, it will create a complete backup of the source files as they are now, without merging the incremental backups.