Warning! Build 436 is broken.

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
net_user

Warning! Build 436 is broken.

Post by net_user »

I suggest to take off this build as it is broken and has many issues.
Last edited by net_user on Mon May 05, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tungsten

Re: Warning! Build 436 is broken.

Post by Tungsten »

To net_user

What sort of issues are you having?

I seem to be backing up files from excluded folders which I cannot seem to stop.

Are you experiencing this?

Tungsten

net_user

Post by net_user »

In the latest build (436) there are incorrect stats
shown while examining the files to backup in incremental backup job
(this was not a case in build 414). In particular, the number of all
the examined files is always shown the same as the number of changed
files to backup. This also makes the process of examining the files to
seem as it would freeze if there are many files in the job overall and
only a few has changed. It shows that changes, let's say 3 and totally
examined also 3, while overall there may be 100k files and it should
write 3 of 100k.

Another issue with the backup list in the program, I was already
reporting about it in the forum. If i have several jobs, let's say job
#1, # 2 and #3, I have job #1 selected and running and then I click
the Backup link of the job #3 (note, I don't select the job #3 first
and then click Backup, I click the Backup link directly being at the
moment at the job #1), many times instead of starting backup, it shows
that the job is being loaded (title goes as "Load" Job Name) and
backup is not started, so I have to click Backup link again to start
the job. Try this when the program is busy and fresh (fresh = just
loaded), i.e. the program must load the newly selected jobs and it is
busy with maybe another backup so you can see the action. Note, if the
job is already loaded, it won't load again, so you must restart the
program to make the job loading on click and see what I mean.

3rd issue. Somehow it happens that the database of the job is busy.
Probably this happened when I first run and canceled the job and the
run it again. The log shows this error: "Error: SQL error "DELETE FROM
JobStatus WHERE JobGuid="{25909D53-9918-4230-9206-08D018B0CD14}" AND
ActionType=0" - database is locked, database is locked (5) (SQL81)",
however the UI does not show anything, seems like the job is finished
fine, but very quickly. I suppose the program must warn in
this case.

Finally, the new build is broken and unusable. The jobs now backup
files and folders that are not selected to backup.

Tungsten

Post by Tungsten »

Your last part about files and folders being backed up that are not selected seems to agree with what I am seeing.

Tungsten

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The build 5.0.436 is not broken.

1. Where do you see the incorrect number of files listed? In Statistics view, in backup log?
2. When you click on another job, the first time it is just selected and the backup catalog for that job is loaded.
The link are not clickable if the job is not active.
We don't have such problems that needs to restart the application
3. Can you give me access to your computer using TeamViewer to see why there isn't a notification on your computer?
4. Can you send me a backup catalog as an example? to see which files were backed up as they were not selected.

net_user

Post by net_user »

You can see other customer also reports the problem.

1. The stats go below the backup title in the backup job list. Make incremental job with 10k files, make the full first run, then change some of the files so that they are selected by the program to go into the next incremental job. Now run the next incremental run and watch how the program reports the number of files it examines (to the right of the percentage bar it says the number of examined files and the number of changed files).

2. I don't write that the issue requires the program restart, I advise you to restart the program to reproduce the issue. When a job is not selected, its links ARE available, please test on Win-7. So you can click non-selected job's links directly and this causes the described issue.

3. No.

4. No. Use build 414 to make a backup with different selected files. Then upgrade to 436 and try to run the job.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. If you are talking about progress view, please note there is the total progress for the files to be backed up. There is no need to indicate the total number of files scanned.
See this image: http://postimg.org/image/8u4x28orz/
2. The first time you click on a job it will select the job and only after that you can click on the links so the users does not start actions by mistake while trying to select a job.
4. I tested that and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

net_user

Post by net_user »

1. I mean not the progress view part, I mean the list of all backups where the backup name is shown, the destination of the backup, the date of the last execution, etc... When you run a job, under the backup name in that part a progress percentage bar becomes visible and the program starts examining files to backup. To the right of that progress bar it writes the number of files it examined in total and the number of files to backup (changed files). This is the place where the issue is visible. On your image this is the central part where it says "[Backup] backup2".

2. Ok. But in many cases when I click the "Backup" link, it selects the job and starts it all at once. The idea of those links shown for each backup in the list is to start the backup quickly I suppose, otherwise I can just select a job and then click buttons on the top ribbon bar. I think the quick links in the current implementation (when you have to select a job first and only then click the links) are redundant and just take the place that trims the backup title.

4. It was working fine with build 414, then I upgraded to 436 and the jobs started to backup folders that were excluded in the backup settings. In the settings you select a general folder, let's say "c:", then untick it, so no folder is selected and select several folders under that "c:". So the folders that were not selected were backed up. I thought that maybe you would want to check the program, because it was dealing incorrectly with the job .ini files and those files state what to exclude.

Tungsten

Post by Tungsten »

I've uninstalled then re-installed and still this latest version insists on trying to backup some of my excluded files and folders.

How do I downgrade to an older version.

Every time I try to reinstall an older version from an .exe file the program insists on reinstalling version 436

Tungsten

Post by Tungsten »

Also,

Those backups that are including excluded folders don't seem to be updating the backup catalog's.

After letting these backups run their course including backing up excluded files and folders, the backup tries to save the same files again if the backup is run straight afterwards when nothing has changed.

I back up My Documents with the excluded folders to three locations, Internal drive, external drive and NAS drive with three separate backups and each are affected. If only one backup was affected I would have suspected a corrupt backup catalogue but not with three.

The excluded folders such as My Videos, My Pictures are run as separate backups and run ok