Warning! Build 436 is broken.

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
homepagestore

Re: Warning! Build 436 is broken.

Post by homepagestore »

I upgraded to Build 436 yesterday and everything seemed to be Ok. This morning I look at the Log and see that nothing was backed up. I start Backup4all and run the same Daily backup incremental job. The job ends after a short time with messages saying it found nothing to backup. I downloaded the new build, uninstalled and reinstalled Build 436. Same results when I run the Daily Incremental backup. Next I ran a Mirror backup to a remote disk and again it says nothing found to backup. How can that be? Next I ran my weekly backup job that is also a mirror. It too says nothing found to backup. Something is wrong with this build.
Please advise...

nakivagyok88

Post by nakivagyok88 »

[quote="homepagestore"]I upgraded to Build 436 yesterday and everything seemed to be Ok. This morning I look at the Log and see that nothing was backed up. I start Backup4all and run the same Daily backup incremental job. The job ends after a short time with messages saying it found nothing to backup. I downloaded the new build, uninstalled and reinstalled Build 436. Same results when I run the Daily Incremental backup. Next I ran a Mirror backup to a remote disk and again it says nothing found to backup. How can that be? Next I ran my weekly backup job that is also a mirror. It too says nothing found to backup. Something is wrong with this build.
Please advise...[/quote]

I have the same issue with Build 436. My differential jobs says nothing found... Only full backup works.

RainbowLady77

Re: Warning! Build 436 is broken - broken for me too.

Post by RainbowLady77 »

I have the same problems.
Right after I updated to the new version 436, my weekly incremental back up didn't run. Rebooted and it seemed to run. The Daily Mirror backup also seemed to run.
Next day, it said NO records to backup on the Daily Mirror job!!
Same the next day and the day after that.
Tried changing a few files and testing the backup, to see if I could "tweak it" and the day before yesterday, the Daily Mirror backup SEEMED to start working OK, and then I found out that it had DELETED most of my backup on my external drive.
Yesterday, it finally SEEMED to do the backup OK, however it did pick up some \temp\ folders that should have been excluded.
Today, it is back to NO records to backup!!!
This is really messed up!!!
I've tried working with support folks and have not gotten good answers yet.

Does anyone know how to safely go back to the previous version safely?

net_user

Post by net_user »

I have reported this bug on the first day the build came out and wrote on the forum to caution others, but support either does not understand or just don't properly test their program. All they reply to the issues I describe is "we don't have such problems here" or "send us catalog", while I give them exact and detailed instructions about what OS to test on and what actions to take to reproduce. Finally, after several days of writing to them about this broken 436 build, they advised me to "upgrade to the latest build 436 and send a catalog". So we wait until this thread will be full of complains, I suppose, before they can have a proper test.

I use the program for several years already, and this happens starting from the older version 4 where each build should have been tested yourself before it could be used. But never before there was such a broken build that mess customers' backups.

So I would suggest the previous poster to install the older build and start all the backups from scratch, i.e. clean everything and start over.

nakivagyok88

Post by nakivagyok88 »

How can we install an older build? And which one you suggest? I have only 1 Pro licence purchased last week, will activation work again?

net_user

Post by net_user »

Use build 414, it works fine despite several minor inconvenient UI things. But these things are nothing comparing to the issues of the latest build. Activation will work, it should be there itself when you reinstall. Try to request the older build from support if you don't have one or find on the web. When installed the older build, clean all jobs using Clean button in the program - remove everything and use an option to clean the target directory. Then start all the jobs over.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

As long as we cannot reproduce the problem here using the backup catalogs you sent us, we asked some users to allow us to connect to their computer using TeamViewer to see exactly the problem, but none of them responded to this request.
There could be a particular environment when the problem appears but I can assure you we tested it here with no problem.
So if you can allow us to connect using TeamViewer, please send an email to support[at]backup4all[dot]com.

homepagestore

Post by homepagestore »

When I restore build 414 from a backup, it shows build 414 until I click the install button and then it switches to build 436. What is happening?

Tungsten

Post by Tungsten »

I have this exact same problem trying to install an earlier version.

Have uninstalled 436, searched the registry and deleted any "Backup4all" references and it still insists on installing ver 436 even though I am using a 396 exe file from previous download.

Tungsten

RainbowLady77

Post by RainbowLady77 »

I finally got a link from support this morning to the install for version 414. They asked me a couple times this week if I would let them connect via TeamViewer and I responded asking what they needed to do that - never got a response. When I finally got the link to the version 414, they claim I never responded. I've sent them quite a few emails this week, so they must be lost in the flood of emails. Time zone wise, they are about 10-12 hours different from me so that makes it harder to communicate.
I used the .msi file they sent me and it installed over revision 436. I had a previous .exe file I had saved from before but did not try that one. The older version 414 works today with minor glitches - had to reset a couple options, and it didn't kick off on the schedule as it should have. Otherwise, it seems to be backing up Ok today for me.