Use local catalogs option

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
BackupUser101

Use local catalogs option

Post by BackupUser101 »

So I use the Dell RD1000 drives and the Dell RD1000 HDD Cassettes to backup my data using a mirror backup. I change the cassette everyday since I have them set to eject after the backup completes. I also have the fast mirror option enabled where it only backups the new/changed files from the last backup to increase backup speeds.

I was wondering do I need to enable the use local catalogs option or do I need to disable it since I rotate the cassettes everyday?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Use local catalogs option

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

If you disable the "Use local catalogs" option, only the backup catalog from the currently connected destination drive will be used.
That way, the backups will be independent on each destination drive. On each drive, a full will be performed, then an incremental with all new and modified files since the last time that drive was used.

Hikari

Post by Hikari »

Hello. I was answered about this option over a year ago but was unable to find the post. I'm gonna ask here since this thread is about this option.

In the past I had an issue that, when I'd restore a Windows backup, b4a would "forget" all backups it had done ever since that Windows backup was created. That happens because b4a stores backups history on Windows partition (IDK if it's on program files, or my profile's AppData, or ProgramData, etc), this history is restored too.

I need b4a to store each backup's history on backup's destination, not anywhere on Windows partition. My backups are done on my NAS using SMB, it's never disconnected as long as LAN is working.

To achieve that, I need to uncheck "Use local catalogs" on all my backups, right?

I'd suggest changing this option name because it's confusing. It's not clear if "local" means "local on Windows, where b4a is installed", or "on backup destination".

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Yes, you need to uncheck the "Use local catalogs" option.
If you want to also store the entire Backup4all settings folder to another drive, please change the paths in File->Options->Application folders.