USB-Drive as Dest. but B4A still creates local ZIP

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Visard

USB-Drive as Dest. but B4A still creates local ZIP

Post by Visard »

Hi everyone, I'm new to B4A and still tries it out for my company...

Problem is - when I do the first "Inremental" backup to a local USB3 disk (LaCie 4TB About 100MB/s) and it still makes the backup to my changed temp dest. (a SSD with 400GB free) and - Yes - I have NOT checked the loacal temp. folder as below..

From your Faq-7 page:
"How to speed up the backup to a slow removable media
For removable drives, the local temporary folder is not used by default. the zip file can be created right on the removable drive. If the removable drive is a slow one, it is recommended to use the local temporary folder to create the zip file. After that, the zip is moved to removable drive destination."

If I try to backup abot 1.5TB of course J:=SSD will be filled and I get an error, from log.file like "Not enough room to write archive (J:\B4A"...

Whenever I start the backup it will create a new folder on J: with a random name and a empty zip-file
I know I can cut it down to smaller files - not tested yet - but really ?

Bottom line - How do I make a backup to external USB-drive without makeing the zip-file locally first ?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: USB-Drive as Dest. but B4A still creates local ZIP

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

We found there is a problem with the temp folder being all the time on C: drive.
You can try to change the location of the temporary folder from File->Options->Application folders to a larger drive and also select the "Always use temporary folder" in Backup Properties->Compression.

Visard

Post by Visard »

Support - Did you read my post ?
I have changed all my B4A folders to J: which is a SSD with 400GB free. And B4A use it for the ZIP-file Creation as I wrote, after it copies it to the dest.-drive and start with a new ZIP-file on J: (this I watched when manually limit the ZIP-file to 25GB and was able to make a full backup (update to my prev. post.))

Maybe I have missed something, but it should be possible to make a incremental backup without a lot of free space on "a other drive"/"temp folder" etc. for making the ZIP-file...

The question is — How to make a incremental backup to an external empty formatted USB hard-drive and let B4A make all zip files on that drive ?

Edit:
"[ ] Always use tempory folder to create zip files"
After testing with this CHECKED and NOT — It is like B4A always read it as CHECKED !

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

This is what I wanted to say. In the current build, that option does not work correctly. We will fix that.

Visard

Post by Visard »

Thanks - Looking forward to the update...