"the handle is invalid" error

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
calessi

"the handle is invalid" error

Post by calessi »

I'm having a problem that has gone from occasional to constant: my differential backups to my Buffalo NAS are aborting after a couple of hours with the following error in the log:

[1/4/2011 10:35:31 AM] Error: Backup aborted. Reason:
Cannot add file "C:\Users\Carl\Videos\X\projects\sample.wav" to "\\LINKSTATION\Backups\Carl and Xtras\11_C.zip".
Zip error: Cannot write file "\\LINKSTATION\Backups\Carl and Xtras\11_C.z11"
The handle is invalid (While writing compressed file in zip)
Backup aborted at 1/4/2011 10:35:31 AM with 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

The error will show show up on different files, but each file always seems to be within the source "videos" folder (this time it aborted on a wav file, which is not particularly large).

I received a suggestion from the Help desk that I set my preferences to allow files to be split above 2GB, but this made no difference.

I'm also puzzled by the fact that documentation on this site indicates that, rather than an UNC path, it's possible to type in a drive mapping for your backup destination (e.g., X:\backups). This seems to be completely impossible...I can't even type a colon after the drive letter in the UNC field. I wanted to try using a network drive mapping because I read somewhere online that it works instead of UNC paths when experiencing file handle errors, but I can't get Backup4All to register that kind of path when the destination is designated as "network" for the backup job.

So at this point, I don't know if I have an application issue, or a NAS issue. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Carl

Adrian (Softland)

Re: "the handle is invalid" error

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

hi,

1. Please make sure you have enough free disk space in destination.
2. In Backup Properties->Compression, please also check the "Create independent splits" option.
3. If you want to use a mapped network drive as backup destination, that can be done if you select in Backup Properties, the local hard drive as destination.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

calessi

Re: "the handle is invalid" error

Post by calessi »

Thanks for the information...shortly after I posted my query with you, my NAS completely locked up, requiring me to pull the power cord in order for me to get it to respond again. It then automatically entered into a rebuilding procedure for its RAID 5 array. In short, I think it's likely that my problems stemmed from the NAS, not the backup software.

Once I get everything running again, I will turn on some of the options you mentioned. Thanks again,

Carl