Test of an encrypted/zipped Mirror backup

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
coffee1978

Test of an encrypted/zipped Mirror backup

Post by coffee1978 »

I am having this recurring issue with a Full Test or Full Repair of a very large (100k files, 18TB) encrypted+zipped Mirror Backup.

If it finds a corrupt zipfile, it pops open a prompt to enter the Zip password. The only choices are to enter the password or abort. Since the zip is partially corrupted, the correct password is recognized and works, but after retesting the corrupted file B4A asks for the password again and again (i.e. it gets into a loop). The only thing that can be done is Abort. It took 2 days to get that far through the test since it is a large backup with some very large files. So, I Aborted, deleted the bad zip from the backup destination directory and restarted the test. It found another bad zip, after two or so days. At this rate, I will be able to fully test this backup sometime by the Summer of 2023.

Can you please add a Skip, Ignore, "Mark as Bad" or some button that marks the file as bad/needing repair and allows the Test/Repair to continue??

B4A v9.4 build 464

Thanks!

P.S. I tested the zip with peazip and the encryption password - peazip confirms it is a corrupted zip.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Test of an encrypted/zipped Mirror backup

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Backup4all tries to extract the files from zip. It seems that it took so long until the corrupt part of the zip was reached, as that is a large file.
You can try repairing the zip file using WinZip or 7zip.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

coffee1978

Post by coffee1978 »

Repairing with winzip/etc is not really the point though. The app behaves in a very problematic way - instead 1) marking it as bad or 2) letting *me* mark it as bad, it only allows me to Cancel the entire test process. I then need to manually delete or test the file outside if the app, then start over. If the backup is huge and has multiple bad files, then I will be dealing with this same manual b/s for weeks.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

I created a ticket for that situation. We will add such an option in that dialog box.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html