Switching destination for future backups

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
daj

Switching destination for future backups

Post by daj »

I've set a number of Smart backups to an external USB device. I'd like to retain that as a FULL backup (the first Smart backup) and use a new USB drive. My understanding is that if I now switch the destination it will delete the local catalog and therefore perform a new complete backup again.

Any way round this? What do others do?

I thought of creating new jobs, for the new destination, that have a filter to only backup anything changed since a specific date so it will do a far smaller new full backup and then leave it to do smart backups

daj

Re: Switching destination for future backups

Post by daj »

Doing some more reading it seems like the key to this is to not use the local catalog. Frustrating, as my full backup is 11.4 million files, which took quite some time (3 days) to complete. I was hoping not to redo that one for a little while!

I think my idea of setting a filter date might work

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Switching destination for future backups

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. You need to first delete the backup versions you no longer need, by using the Clean backup button from the Toolbar. Select the backup versions you want to delete and press Clean.

2. Then you need to move the backup files and the .bkc catalog file from the old backup destination to the new backup destination.

3. In Backup4all you need to delete the existing backup job and open the .bkc catalog file from the new destination. You will be asked if you want to change the destination. Select "Yes" and you will be able to continue the backups.