SQL error "SELECT Count(FileVersionId) FROM FileVersions" - disk I/O error, disk I/O error (SQL81)

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
szucsati

SQL error "SELECT Count(FileVersionId) FROM FileVersions" - disk I/O error, disk I/O error (SQL81)

Post by szucsati »

Hi,

I have Backup4all Professional Edition 4.6.260 on Windows 2008 R2 SP1. I have an offsite backup system with two hard drives. Every day I swap the disks, change the drive letter to the correct one and let the scheduler do it's job. Very often I get the following error in the log file and the backup task fails to start:

If I manually start the process in the morning without touching anything, or just let the scheduler run again after 24 hours, I don't necessarily get the same error.

What can it be? Could the fact that my disk is sleeping normally cause this?

Thanks,
Attila

ps.: I wanted to attach the log file, but nor log or txt attachments are allowed. I recommend to change it.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: SQL error "SELECT Count(FileVersionId) FROM FileVersions" - disk I/O error, disk I/O error (SQL81)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Do you use "Safely remove hardware" before disconnecting the drive?
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

szucsati

Re: SQL error "SELECT Count(FileVersionId) FROM FileVersions" - disk I/O error, disk I/O error (SQL81)

Post by szucsati »

They are normal SATA hard drives, I use a tray to change them. There's no safely remove for them. They are however in sleep mode when I remove them.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Before running the backup, please run a scandrive for errors and see if you still have the problem.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

szucsati

Post by szucsati »

I tried to run scandisk, and there's no error. It seems like after swapping hard-drives, if I start (and abort) a manual backup, the scheduled backup runs fine as well.
Manual always runs fine, but scheduled only runs ok if I initiate a manual backup before it. Don't really know what it could be.

Any idea?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

You mentioned you swap the hard drives. Do you use the "safely remove hardware" tool?

szucsati

Post by szucsati »

[quote="Support"]Hi,

You mentioned you swap the hard drives. Do you use the "safely remove hardware" tool?[/quote]

hi,

As I said earlier I use a hot swap tray, not USB so there is no safely remove for this. However just to try what I did is I set the hard drive offline and uninstalled it from the device manager. I swapped the hard drive and made the device manager search for new devices. This is the safest mode to swap internal hard drives. The problem still exists.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please make sure Backup4all is closed and no other application is using that drive before swapping it.

matthew.griffin

Post by matthew.griffin »

Ok, Really dissapointing that this topic is not solved,

What kinda tech support leaves questions unanswered for paid products????

Anyways, Im getting this same issue on a clients machine. Im thinking the drive might be on its way out, but that is an assumption. The log is below, And doesnt say much. what are some ideas? This drive is Safely removed on a daily basis and the scan is scheduled for night scans out side of business hours.

/log
?[2/27/2012 9:00:00 PM] Backup4all Standard Edition 4.6.263
[2/27/2012 9:00:00 PM] Starting backup for "KKC Nightly Backup" at 2/27/2012 9:00:00 PM
[2/27/2012 9:00:00 PM] Operating system: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790)
[2/27/2012 9:00:00 PM] Backup Summary:
General:
Name: KKC Nightly Backup
Group: My Backup Jobs
Description:
Ini file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Softland\Backup4all Standard 4\IniFiles\KKC Nightly Backup.ini

Destination:
Destination type: External hard drive
Drive: F:
Folder: F:\
Catalog: F:\KKC Nightly Backup(1).bkc
Lock the destination to this external hard drive: No
Enable disk spanning: No

Source(s):
C:\Documents and Settings
D:\apps
D:\installs
D:\profiles
D:\users

Filters:
Main:
Include filter:
Include all files.
Exclude filter:
Hiberfil on System Drive - use as exclude
( File name = 'hiberfil.sys'
AND Folder name = '%SystemDrive%')
OR
Pagefile on System Drive - use as exclude
( File name = 'pagefile.sys'
AND Folder name = '%SystemDrive%')
OR
Temporary files - use as exclude filter
( File name = '*.tmp|*.temp|*.chk|*.bkc-journal')
OR
Temporary Folders - use as exclude
( Folder name = '%temp%|%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files|?:\System Volume Information|?:\Recycler|?:\Recycled|%SystemRoot%\Temp\*')

Backup type:
Type: Mirror
Clear archive bit: No
Folder name prefix: none
Fast mirror: No
Create full paths: Yes
Copy files in a subfolder: Yes
Remove excluded or deleted files from backup: No
Zip the files: No
Copy NTFS security permissions: No
Copy NTFS alternate file streams: No
Allow file splitting when spanning: Yes
Sort mirror files for optimized spanning: Yes

Advanced settings:
Backup:
Use local catalog: Yes
Test after backup: Yes
Delete sources after successful backup: No
Ask for backup label before execution: No
Backup open files: Yes
Store temporary catalog data in memory Yes
Backup execution priority: Normal priority
Actions:
Action before backup: <Clear backup>
Run only once: No
Action after backup: not enabled
Comparison:
Comparison criteria: [Size, Date modified, Date created, Read-Only, Archived, Hidden, System]
Sounds: not enabled

Emails: not enabled

Scheduler:
Show warning and error messages when scheduled: Yes
Abort backup when source drives are not available: No
Ask for user input when backup cannot continue: No

b4a_KKC Nightly Backup.job
Enabled At 9:00 PM every Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri of every week, starting 2/17/2012

[2/27/2012 9:00:00 PM] Error: Backup aborted. Reason:

Total number of files added to backup: 528545
Total number of folders added to backup: 19665
Total size of files added to backup: 176.63 GB
Number of files excluded: 0
Number of folders excluded: 0
Next scheduled backup:
Backup aborted at 2/27/2012 9:00:00 PM with 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
/log

matthew.griffin

Post by matthew.griffin »

Also, I forgot to mention, i did a scan disk on this drive and it completed without errors.