Search/find in backups and add sources with drag-drop feature

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
galaga

Search/find in backups and add sources with drag-drop feature

Post by galaga »

Hi there.

Been testing a couple backup software for personal use. My target use would mostly be mirroring of 500k and up amount of smaller files of various types (mirroring files as backup to other drive) and so far Backup4all seems like best suited for this task.

HOWEVER, to find out if Backup4All suits perfectly for my needs, I've got a few questions;

1. File finder in Explore view (by name)
- "Feature Matrix" in manual and "Compare Products" web page both list this feature, but I don't see any such button/field? Is there such?
- In addition to mirroring I would like to be able to search/find inside backup. I.e. I accidentally deleted or on purpose deleted some file and then at later time would like to find out if I had such file (did I have butterfly*.jpg or mario.png in my backup), or even if I didn't remove anything in source folders, I'd just want find out on later time, if backup contained something. I know if I just mirror files as files, I can use windows explorer, but it would be convenient to be able to do it in one place.

2. Add sources with drag-drop
- "Feature Matrix" in manual and "Compare Products" web page both list this feature. But I can't seem to be able to do this from Windows explorer to source window when I create new job. Is this feature removed or is there some trick to this?

Waiting for reply, as I couldn't find anything with search or from web.

Using Backup4All Professional Edition Demo Version 4.8 Build 286

Thank!

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Search/find in backups and add sources with drag-drop feature

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. The find file works when you type the file/folder name in Explore View. Typing the name of a file will automatically select that file/folder.
2. Drag and drop works in Backup Properties->Sources page. If you still have problems, please open Backup4all as admin.

galaga

Post by galaga »

Thank you for the reply!

1. Find; seems like it works, but I have to say it's bit slow to find files, in cases where there are multiple similar files, typing will go thru each of them one by one, definitely would be easier to have results window, as now searching among multiple file versions is not user friendly or very efficient.

2. Drag and drop. Added admin rights to shortcut, and I already have admin rights (admin user in Windows 7 professional 64bit), tried drag drop from windows explorer to Sources window in standard and advanced mode. In both modes I dropped files into white colored File\folder area. As soon as I drag folder / file on top of area, cursor turns into "Unavailable" symbol, and it doesn't allow me to drop files into view. Is there something else I should do?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

1. We will think about your suggestion.

2. Do you have UAC activated?
Can you add files from another application started using Admin permissions as Total Commander?

galaga

Post by galaga »

"Do you have UAC activated" - No, it's disabled. I don't use Total Commander or similar file managers.

galaga

Post by galaga »

Hi there - I installed and tried drag'n'drop from XYplorer (sort of filemanager / fileviewer). In XYplorer drag'n'drop works to desktop, folders and so on like it does on my system in general, but still not to Source window of Backup4all.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please try the following:
1. Download Total commander
2. Open it as administrator
3. Try to drag and drop files into the backup sources list of Backup4all.

Do you still have the problem?

galaga

Post by galaga »

Hi there - Now that I tested this, It seems like I found a solution, BUT it's not related to using Total Commander or any other 3rd party softaware to drop files!

It seems like it's not possible to drag'n'drop files to Backup Properties/Sources, File\Folder window... (advanced view or standard). Not at least with version I have been testing.

*** BUT I CAN drag'n'drop files to Explore (F2) view *** ? Just tried it and it works.

1. Manual states in chapter Backup Properties/Sources that "The Sources page defines what files and folders will be used by Backup4all for the backup." and "Tips: you can add files/foders to the Sources window by dragging and dropping them from Windows Explorer". However, it's not happening.

2. If I can add files from Explore view, it's not obvious (I didn't read everything from manual about this, so I might have missed information about this) and it seems like I can't remove anything from Explore view, not from right click menu or with delete key...

3. It seems like it's possible to only add, not delete files from Explore view, and only way to remove is to go to backup properties, sources page, and remove from there. Not very logical if that is the case (or I'm not doing it right) and then again, backup properties is a "walk through" / "wizard" type interface where job is created and files are added first time so it would be the place to add files IMO.

Thanks for the reply, please let me know I did something wrong, but I simply can't get it working like it should!

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

If you can give me access to your computer I would be happy to find the problem for you. It seems like a permission issue.

To remove files/folders from the backup sources in Explore View, just right click the file/folder and select "Exclude from backup sources".