Scheduled Backups

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
elna

Scheduled Backups

Post by elna »

If i have scheduled backups does the new scheduled backup replace the previous scheduled backup or will i have several backups on my external hard drive?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Scheduled Backups

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

A scheduled backup does not delete the previous backups. It will delete them only if you set it to do so by limiting the number of stored backups or scheduling another cleanup action.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

agarwaldvk

Post by agarwaldvk »

Hello All

I also have a similar question.

If I have scheduled one backup job to do a daily differential/incremental backup with a maximum number of backup copies of 6 (done between Monday and Saturday, both inclusive) and another to do a weekly full backup with a maximum number of backup copies of 3(on Sunday), then when it reaches the next Monday, it would already have 6 daily backup copies and 1 weekly version from last week - so in this case, will it delete the oldest of these 6 daily backup copies and create a new daily backup copy on this Monday or will I need to delete one of these as a "Scheduled Cleanup" job. Similarly, as it gets to the 4th Sunday, it would already have 6 daily backup copies from this week and 3 weekly versions from the last weeks - so in this case, will it delete the oldest of these 3 weekly backup copies and create a new weekly backup copy on this Sunday or, again, will I need to delete one of these as a "Scheduled Cleanup" job.

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

agarwaldvk

Post by agarwaldvk »

Hello all

Forgot to ask you this in my previous post.

What happens if a scheduled job could not be run. For example, if the computer wasn't on at the time of the scheduled job, will it run at the next available opportunity?

Best regards

Deepak

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please note the backup jobs are independent.
Each limit of the maximum number of stored backup applies to that backup job only.
It does not depend on the other backup jobs.
In your case, a backup job will be limited at 6 and the other will be limited at 3 backup versions.

If the computer was turned off during the scheduled time, it will run the backup at the next scheduled time.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

agarwaldvk

Post by agarwaldvk »

Hello guys from Support

Thanks for your response but I am not so sure if it has answered my query fully - may be I don't understand how it works as yet. Could you please advise me, given the scenario that I have quoted, if, by the time it gets to the sheduled backup time on the next Monday, it would have 6 copies of differential/incremental backup jobs - the one that would now get created would be the 7th - in that case, is it that the oldest of these 6 will get deleted automatically or will it need to be deleted by me manually.

Additionally, could I specify the maximum number of backups to keep with Mirror Backups as well or is that functionality limited to Full Backups/Differential/Incremental backups only?

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

If you limit the number of stored backup to 6, Backup4all will automatically delete the oldest backup when the 7th backup is created.
To set up that limit, please open Backup Properties->Type.
Select the "Yes, limit number of backups" option and set the limit at 6. Press Save.

The Mirror backup type does not keep track of file versions, so only the latest backup version is available for restore.
You cannot limit the number of backups for Mirror type.

agarwaldvk

Post by agarwaldvk »

Hello guys from Support

Thanks once again for your prompt response.

I have just been testing the trial version now and I have hopefully one last question.

I intend to schedule a weekly job on Sunday nights (as Full backup with maximum backup versions limited to 3) to run at System Shutdown and another as a daily job obviously every night except Sundays (as Differential/Incremental backup with maximum backup versions limited to 6) both to be run "At System Shutdown" and NOT at any particular time. Seemingly, I cannot do that since as soon as you select the "At System Shutdown" option, it doesn't give you the option to select the frequency - it probably presumes that it needs to be done daily. However, if you choose either Windows Scheduler or Built-In Scheduler, it doesn't give you the option to select the "Shutdown" option even though your Help clearly says that it is one of the available options. The relevant help page is pasted here for your immediate reference :- Sorry but couldn't copy/paste or attach the document. This is available under the "When do you want to do your backup" section in the Help section.

Could you please clarify about the confusion or am I doing the wrong thing?

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

If you select to run the backup at system shutdown, it will run at every shutdown. You cannot specify which days to run.

agarwaldvk

Post by agarwaldvk »

Hi Support

If that is the case then we have a severe limitation in that then I cannot have FullBackups running say on Sunday and Differential/Incremental Backups running on all other days at System Shutdown.

There are a couple of other softwares that I know does that (there may be others too) - I was wondering if it is possible for you to include this facility in your application. It appears that it might already have been intended to include it in but somehow got left since your the relevant section in the "Help" document clearly indicates that it is certainly an option.

In either case, could you please advise me so that I can start considering other options if this is not a feasible option in your software.

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal