restore: numbers+letters password not accepted to restore files from 7zip files

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
vongehlens

restore: numbers+letters password not accepted to restore files from 7zip files

Post by vongehlens »

Hello dear community & B4A Support team,

we are using B4A since some time and now had situations where we had to use the restore functions as we´ve lost files during our upgrade from WindowsXP to Win7-64bit.

our users did made B4A backups regularly and these backups are protected with a password. Now once we want to restore files and enter our password, it it not accepting this password. First we thought it´s a user error as he/she did not used the correct password but it is not a user error.

Here is what we found:
We saw a problem with a user the other day, when he created a backup with a password of just letters he could restore it fine.
However when he mixed letters & numbers it would not recognise the password during restore.
This is definitively reproducible.
So we have a serious problem here as we have hundreds of users of B4A and don´t know, of course, who has mixed passwords (letters&numbers) and who doesn´t.

do you know this problem and do you know a solution?
thanks for your quick help!

best regards
Stephan

PS: we use...
Version: B4A pro v.4.6 build 253
target file: *.7z files

Adrian (Softland)

Re: restore: numbers+letters password not accepted to restore files from 7zip files

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

I cannot reproduce the problem here.
Please download and install build 4.7.270 and try again.
Do you have the same problem?
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

majuebv

Re: restore: numbers+letters password not accepted to restore files from 7zip files

Post by majuebv »

Hi,

we are using INI files to create the backup job by script. I had posted a question about the encrypted password in ini files about a year ago.

http://forum.backup4all.com/support-tro ... -t312.html

Please test using "Test1234" and remove one digit after each test. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. You never notice until you try to change/remove the password encryption or when you try to restore files. I didn't test long enough to see if there is a pattern or if it fails every time with the same password.

I will re-test with the newest version.

Thanks!

Manuel