Remove Deleted Files From Destination After Certain Time Period?

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
newtekie1

Remove Deleted Files From Destination After Certain Time Period?

Post by newtekie1 »

I'm using the trial right now, but thinking of buying 50+ licenses to backup client workstations from multiple locations to a cloud FTP server my company owns.

I back up to the FTP using Incremental backups because that was the only way I could see to save multiple file versions, which is important. Everything seems to be working nicely, the only problem seems to be with files I've deleted. They don't get deleted from the backup. I'd like to delete the files from the backup, but also it is important to keep deleted files for a certain time period before deleting them from the backup. Just in case someone accidentally deletes a file they needed and we need to restore the file.

So for instance, keep deleted files for 14 days after they've been deleted, then delete them from the backup. Is that possible?

It doesn't even have to 100% accurate with timing. Even if Backup4All removes the file from the backup 14 days after it detects the files is no longer in the source. So when a backup is run, it makes a note of the missing file in the catalog and then 14 days later it removes the file from the destination or something.

Thanks In Advance.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Remove Deleted Files From Destination After Certain Time Period?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

There isn't such an option to remove the deleted files from destination if you use the limit file versions.
We have plans to implement such an option in future.

At this moment, the only way to remove the deleted files from destination is to use Mirror backup type.

newtekie1

Post by newtekie1 »

I sort of found a work around, I think. I do a <clear backup d=90> in the actions before backup for the scheduled backup.

I'm hoping this works the way I think it will, completely deleting everything from the FTP destination and do then do a full backup. This will delete any old files from the FTP and also make restoring easier because I'll have a full backup every 3 months.

The only problem is if a file is deleted right before the clear is done then that file will be lost, but I'm willing to live with that for the time being.

I hope the option is implemented.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Yes, that option works in the way you described.