Recreate Catalog From Backup?

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
spearless

Recreate Catalog From Backup?

Post by spearless »

On 1st pass of a Incrementat backup to Blu-Ray (so a full backup) backup machine died (unknown reason...probably nothing to do with BackUp4U)... and therefore no catalaog was written.

This was unfortunatly 17 Blu-Ray disks into the backup, all of which seem to be ok.

How can a catalog be recreated from the backup? Dont want to throw away 17 disks... and this could happen again.

Most BU apps seem to have a way to recreate a catalog (as this may be lost during a failure)... can BackUp4U do this?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Recreate Catalog From Backup?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

In Backup4all you cannot recreate the backup catalog based on the backup files.

spearless

Post by spearless »

Thanks for the inofrmation.

Could I clarify then what i need to do with the catalog files? Should I be backing those up too? And can I back this up inside an existing backup?

I assume the catalog is required to properly restore, and therefore crtitical... or is a copy of the catalog written to the backup anyway?

I am discussing this with respect to optical media, as the usecase here is for a saftey copy.

spearless

Post by spearless »

As a follow on to my original post, it seem the crash at disc 17 of the backup was not a one off.

It seems that when trying to do a large backup to blu-ray, at about 17 disks in size, BackUp4All will crash.

I have a number of smaller backups (still multiple discs) that work fine, but this backup failes everytime.

Unfortunatly the crash take Windows with it (i end up with a black screen, with just the cursor,,, which still moves, and even ctrl-alt-delete does nothing, nor can i remote onto the machine... have to reset).

This backup is approx 460GB, and at disc 17 it is near the end.

As you can imagine, not to keen on trying this again and agian, as each attempt burns 17 discs.

Any ideas?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The backup catalog is saved at the end of the backup.
If the backup fails for some reasons, the catalog is not saved.

In order to find the cause of the failure, please send us the last backup log for that job, to support[at]backup4all[dot]com.
You can also check the Windows Event Viewer to see what caused the BSOD as that could bring some more information about the problem.