Recommendations for Large directory backups?

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
BradI

Recommendations for Large directory backups?

Post by BradI »

Hi,

I wanted to use Backup4All to backup my music collection to my ftp site. Like many people, I've got gigs worth of music. How do you recommend I back it up to my ftp? It seems like it will get 10% done, then I'll lose my internet connection or something.

What I'd like to know is what settings you'd recommend for such a job?

Thanks

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Recommendations for Large directory backups?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You should use the Mirror backup type, as the mp3 files are already compressed.
How long is the internet connection interruption?
In Tools->Options->FTP, you can set the wait time and the number of retries in order to pass the interruption.

If it is too long, you should open Backup Properties->Sources and uncheck 90% of the sources.
Run the backup, go backup to sources and check 10% more files. Only new files will be added to backup.

This way, you will need to run the backup 10 times in order to have all files backed up, as long as the internet connection is too ofter interrupted.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

BradI

Re: Recommendations for Large directory backups?

Post by BradI »

Hi guys,

Fantastic recommendation on the checking and unchecking of sources. So simple yet that will surely work.

PS. I recommend Backup4All to just about everyone I know for backing up their computers. Some companies I've referred have bought it to do their desktops.

Thanks