Question about deleting and moving files on source drive

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Bexer

Question about deleting and moving files on source drive

Post by Bexer »

If I delete files from the source drive that are part of a backup set, are the files also removed from the backup when the job is run? (Ashampoo Backup has this as an option, which I like)

Here's another example:
I have files on my Desktop, and my Desktop folder is part of a backup set. Let's say I move some of those files to my Documents folder, which is part of the same backup set. When I run the job will the files from the Desktop be removed from the backup archive, or will they now appear in both the Desktop and in Documents in the archive?

Thanks!

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Question about deleting and moving files on source drive

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

If you use the Mirror backup type and the "Remove excluded or deleted files" option is selected in Backup Properties->Type, the files deleted from source will be also deleted from destination.
If you use another backup type, the files deleted from source won't be deleted from destination.

As for your example, if you use the Mirror backup type as I said above, the files in destination will be deleted from the old location and will be backed up from the new location.

mlee

Post by mlee »

In an incremental backup, the original files stay in the first "full backup" don't they? So if I restore an incremental backup and tell it to restore to the most recent version...does it restore the files that were deleted AFTER the first full backup or does it restore those deleted files as well?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

When you restore all files to the most recent version, Backup4all will pick the latest version of all files no matter if they are only in the first full or in any incremental.
The files marked as deleted (that means a new backup was executed since you delete them) will be restored only if you select "Restore excluded and deleted files" option from the Restore Wizard.

midnytblu

Post by midnytblu »

I would just post my query here since it's similar.

I have a mirror backup job. I deleted some files/folders from the source drive and ran backup manually but still, the original files/folders remain on the (cloud) destination drive.

May I know what went wrong here? Or what can I do to 'update' the sources in the backup job?
I checked the job properties and I can see the removed folders still there.

Tried running again the backup manually several times but still the files remain on the destination drive.
It can detect and backup new files though.

The "Remove excluded or deleted files" is checked.

Thank you.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

The only condition is to have some new and modified files to be backed up, in order for the backup to run.

You said you can still see those files in job properties. Do you mean in Backup Properties?

Please send us the last backup log and the .bkc catalog file for that job to support[at]backup4all[dot]com.
Also let us know the name and path of a source file which was not deleted from destination.