Problems with burning on Blu-ray

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
backdraft

Problems with burning on Blu-ray

Post by backdraft »

Hi,

I've been trying to back up some of my home videos on blu ray discs. The backup spans over 3 discs.
I've lost quite a few discs so far (and those things arent cheap) as the test informs that not all files were copied correctly. This has happened 3 or 4 times now.
If I'm on my second or last disc and the test fails, do I have to start the whole backup job all over again and burn all 3 discs again.
When the test fails, Backup4all asks if I want to cancel the job or continue, but theres no "burn this disc again" option.

If my backup size grows and grows on multiple discs and the burn fails on the last one, do I have to start all over again?

Edit:

I just finished my second attempt of a blu ray backup. again I had 2 test fails, but I ignored them and finished the backup job.
I noticed the error happened on the same file as on the first try, so dont think it's my blu ray drive that is causing the problem, but Backup4all.
On the first try I checked the file on the disc and it played fine, didnt see any artifacts or anything. On the second backup the file wasn't event written on any of the discs. I couldn't find it anywhere.

I'm using mirror backup and I have unchecked the "allow splitting of files when writing on multiple discs".
I'm also using the "third-party packet writing software" as the internal one didn't work. I can't select the write speed on on the third party packet writing, so the problem could be that it is exceeding the write speed of the disc and causing write error. I have X4 discs in use. Any idea where I can change the write speed?
Last edited by backdraft on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

backdraft

Re: Problems with burning on Blu-ray

Post by backdraft »

After doing an extensive test on a optical drive tester http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
everything checked out fine. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the burner.

I tried doing the backup again with the internal driver and set the write speed accordingly to x4.
Now everything went ok with the first disc, no error on the test, but when I insert the second disc and press continue, backup4 all keep telling me that the drive is not ready.
I can't continue and again I'm forced to cancel the job.

I've also tried doing a backup on DVD's that spans over 2 discs and it worked fine.

Please any help with this. I've already wasted 50 buck worth of blu ray discs on this.

EDIT:
So I decided to have one more go at.
I rebooted my PC and made a new backup job.
Now everything went ok, no test error or anything, but this time I got a new problem.
The first disc is unreadable, but the other two are working normally.
When I insert the first disc it freezes my blu ray drive totally. The light keeps blinking on the drive as it tries to read it, but I cant even eject the disc.
I have to boot up my pc and during the boot up I can eject the disc when it not trying to read it. I think the issue is that backup4all didn't close the disc properly.
This same thing happened on one of the other disc earlier when I was trying to do a backup job. It was also the first disc in the job, but didnt think of it much since there were also the test error problem that time.

This is driving me crazy. I love the program it does everything perfect except the blu ray burning.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please send us the last backup log from View->Job Logs, to support[at]backup4all[dot]com
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Also please send us the log file for the last backup execution.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

backdraft

Post by backdraft »

Nevermind. I got it working by updating the drives firmware. Thanks anyway.

Still I would like to know if I can re-burn a single disc in a backup job that spans over multiple discs.
If I get an write error on my last disc, do I have to burn all of the discs again, or is there a way to just re-burn that one disc.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

In such a case, you need to burn all disks again.

backdraft

Post by backdraft »

Support wrote:Hi,

In such a case, you need to burn all disks again.
Are there any plans to add a "write this discs again" option?
Write errors aren't that common, but if your spanning over several double layer (50GB) blu rays discs, they can cost 8-10€ a peace.
It is not cheap to burn all the discs again.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Each disk is verified after burn. If at that moment a problem is found, you are asked if you want to write again that disk because problems were found during test.
If the backup is performed and no problem is determined after test, you cannot tell Backup4all to re-write a specific disk.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Can you tell us what device you use and what firmware version you had?

backdraft

Post by backdraft »

Support wrote:Hi,

Each disk is verified after burn. If at that moment a problem is found, you are asked if you want to write again that disk because problems were found during test.
If the backup is performed and no problem is determined after test, you cannot tell Backup4all to re-write a specific disk.
Ok. Thanks.

My Device is LG BH10LS30.
I'm not sure what firmware version I was using earlier. I updated to the latest version using their update utility that came with the drive.