Problem with Spanish letters and symbols

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Olymoon

Problem with Spanish letters and symbols

Post by Olymoon »

I am trying Backup4all, and I find this program much more easier than many I have tried before. But I see that if a file´s name contains a Spanish letter/symbol, like ñ or é it is not saved with this letter in the backup file, witch drives to a warning at the end of the backup saying that this file is not found in the backup.

Example:

in a folder you want to backup you have a file called: añadido.rtf in the backup zip file you will see: a±adido.rtf .
So when Backup4all does the verification, it does not find the file añadido.rtf in the backup.

It is a pity, because really I find this program the best for both advanced and simple backup.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Problem with Spanish letters and symbols

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Do you have the latest version of Backup4all? (4.7.270)
If yes, please send us the log file from View->Job Logs->Last backup log to support[at]backup4all[dot]com
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

KOPA

Post by KOPA »

After solving the crash related to incorrect file permission, I faced a new challence with latest version of the software (Backup4All Standard, v 4.7 Build 270).

This appears to be similar to what Olymoon described to happen with Spanish characters:

It seems that there are now two files that are not backed up properly (two lines from the log file follows):

[11.5.2012 22:01:32] Warning: Size of file "Users\<account>\Documents\Data_<name>\Data_<name>2\raisio\Raisio Yhtymä 040302 versio2.doc" in destination (45568) is different than the size stored in catalog (95744)
[11.5.2012 22:01:32] Warning: File "C:\Users\<account>\Documents\Data_<name>\Data_<name>2\raisio\RAISIO YHTYMÄ OYJ kauppalehti.doc" not found in zip "Z:\Documents\Documents\1_C.zip"

This problem emerges with both full and differential backup, and is target media independent (I tested with two different external drives, both with different connecting interface type and channel).

After I rename the files so that scandinavian "Ä" and "ä" are changed to "A" and "a" respectively, backup runs ok and files are backed up.

Now when I change file name back to scandinavian Ä and ä, backup completely ignores the files. There must be something wrong with handling of scandinavian characters? Especially note that "size is different" makes me thins that filenames with non-ascii characters are ill-processed.

Again, these files have been backed up numerous times with earlier version 4.6. No errors found on the source hard drive.
All other files with scandinavian characters do backup ok, that makes this more puzzling

How to trouble-shoot this?

I really hope that also this case can be solved fast like was with the previous problem I faced with the latest update. This far I have been using BU4A for about a year, with previous version, and no problems at all. Host system has not changed, except the normal Microsoft patches etc. No exotic software running, just plain Office and Photography tools.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

We found the problem and we will fix it.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html