Problem with B4A and Windows 8

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Glenlb

Re: Problem with B4A and Windows 8

Post by Glenlb »

I did successfully restore to my new PC using the backup from my older PC.
Not sure, but the problem appears to be that Windows 8 is locking up and extremely slow - with many applications and not just B4A. After walking away from the PC for 30 minutes, B4A was started and it then worked.
The only other problem was I forgot a password and couldn't restore a file, but after restarting and setting the restore to bypass that file, everything else restored OK.
Windows 8 was the problem and B4A was the victim apparently. Task manager sometimes shows that task manager is using 60% or more of the CPU resources.

idoc8112

Post by idoc8112 »

Same problem here with B4A crashing Windows 8. This is a 64 bit system which if you let it go long enough will sometimes crash Windows explorer and everything will work fine. I have a dial up connection so taking over my computer would not be feasable. What solutions did you find with the previous posts? What programs were running which interefered with B4A starting?

Thanks.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

I cannot give you a list of applications interfering with Backup4all. One was a virtual CD/DVD mounting application, another was for burning CD/DVD and in other case was the antivirus.

ppehrson

Post by ppehrson »

Sorry, but I for one don't really care that you claim to support Windows 8.

I just did a COMPLETELY fresh Windows 8 install (x64) on a COMPLETELY new and empty system.
All that was installed was B4A.

And it froze the system completely. Sometimes, it restarted after a couple of minutes, but usually the system just kept frozen.

FYI, it happened right after the admin access UAC window popped up, and the mouse cursor (animated circle) froze too. The hard disk light was lit and stayed lit.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please wait few minutes (10 min), is there any bug report generated?

We have Windows 8 installed on multiple computers, none has such problems with Backup4all.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm having the same issue. Has anyone had success with this? I waited 30 minutes after a freeze... where would the beg report be generated? Help!

Adrian (Softland)

Please follow these steps:
1. Download and extract DebugView from http://download.sysinternals.com/files/DebugView.zip
2. Start DebugView
3. Start Backup4all
4. Send us the debug log.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I downloaded debugview, extracted it, ran it, then ran b4a which locked my entire system up including debugview. I let it sit for 20 minutes and nothing happened. I had to restart and debugview showed me nothing. There is no bug report anywhere on my computer. What's next?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

In DebugView, under Capture menu, select the first 3 options and go to File->Log to file.
That should generate a bug report in the log file location you indicated above, even if the computer will restart.

TimT

Post by TimT »

EXACT same problem here. Completely fresh intallation of Windows 8 Pro, 64-bit
I have Vipre Antivirus and MalwareBytes installed.
UAC is turned off.

I double click the icon to start BU4A, the PC pauses a couple of seconds, then anything open locks up. There's no indication of excessive RAM or CPU usage in task manager (which I open before starting the program to see if anything was indicated). Nothing in event viewer.

The only way out of it, is a hard reset of the PC.

I do not believe BU4A is compatible with Windows 8.

I note on the web site that Windows 8 is not listed as one of the compatible OS's.

It is inconceivable that a software vendor would not have a fully working application this far down the road from Windows 8 release.

I can't hang around whilst you work out the problem, I'm going to have to find an alternative solution. Thanks a bunch for not re-writing the application properly for 100% compatibility, but just guessing that it would work, as you seem to have done.