Problem restoring Outlook files with customized prefix to rebuilt computer

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
WDK

Problem restoring Outlook files with customized prefix to rebuilt computer

Post by WDK »

I've been using this product since fall of 2010 and up to now, no problems. I recently had to replace a bad motherboard, and that led to a problem with a RAID array. So far all data (stored on external HD) has restored perfectly. My issue is with restoration of the Outlook 2010 files.

I had originally customized the prefix to <BACKUP NUMBER>_Microsoft Outlook. When i reinstalled Backup4All, the restore was looking for the default "1_C.zip". I went in to check the properties for the backup job, and sure enough the customized name wasn't there. I fixed it, but still, no restore. Then i double-checked the names of the zips in the backup folder and THIS is what i have. (See below.) Nothing with '1_C' or '2_C'.

Even with the customized name, the backup job names still do not match the names of files i have in the backup. Also, the restore job is STILL looking for "1_C.zip'. Is there a way to restore with a command line function to find the files as they are really named in my set of backups? Is there something else i need to do?

I appreciate any help anyone can give!

1_Microsoft Outlook
1_Microsoft Outlook_Custom Forms
1_Microsoft Outlook_Personal Files and Data Folder
1_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook
1_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook_Personal Store
1_Microsoft Outlook_Settings and Control Information
1_Microsoft Outlook_Signatures
1_Microsoft Outlook_Stationery
1_Microsoft Outlook_Templates

2_Microsoft Outlook
2_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook
2_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook_Personal Store
2_Microsoft Outlook_Settings and Control Information

3_Microsoft Outlook
3_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook
3_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook_Personal Store
3_Microsoft Outlook_Settings and Control Information

17_Microsoft Outlook
17_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook
17_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook_Personal Store
17_Microsoft Outlook_Settings and Control Information
17_Microsoft Outlook_Templates

147_Microsoft Outlook
147_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook
147_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook_Personal Store
147_Microsoft Outlook_Settings and Control Information

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Problem restoring Outlook files with customized prefix to rebuilt computer

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Did you load the backup job from the .bkc file?

If not, then please delete the backup job from Backup4all then re-create it again from .bkc file.

https://www.backup4all.com/using-backup4all-faq-8-kb.html#bookmark10
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

WDK

Post by WDK »

Yes. I did load from .bck file.

WDK

Post by WDK »

I completely uninstalled BK4ALL, re-installed and re-installed the .bck file. Now i get a little bit further, but not far enough.

Using the PREVIEW function, I can now see a list of folders to be restored. Then i can see the statistics screen come on. I enter my password for the files, click on OK, and in under 5 seconds the restore is finished running. But the full data store was not really restored. The job finishes with 4 errors (srCreateError). I copied the log file to the bottom of this page.

What i can see is that several folders are created and just a few files:
  • FOLDER: Profiles --> Outlook --> Personal Store (no files)
    FOLDER: Profiles --> Settings and Control Information--> (Files: Outlook.xml and OutlPrint
    FILE: Outlook Options.ForAllProfiles (Registration file)
I've tried restoring to the original location and to a new location, with the same result.

Now what should i do? These email files include my business files and i can look into the zip files and see there is actual data, so there has to be a way of getting them restored, right?

Again, i appreciate any help you can offer.

==================================================================
OUTPUT FROM RESTORE LOG
==================================================================

[5/20/2011 3:31:14 AM] Backup4all Professional Edition 4.6.251
[5/20/2011 3:31:14 AM] Restoring files from backup "Mail", start time 5/20/2011 3:31:14 AM
[5/20/2011 3:31:14 AM] Plugin name : Microsoft Outlook (by Softland) - Plugin ID : {44DBD7BF-5B74-42FF-B295-EA7449DB1532}
[5/20/2011 3:31:14 AM] Operating system: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

[5/20/2011 3:31:14 AM] Processing zip file G:\Backup\Email\Mail\148_Microsoft Outlook_Settings and Control Information.zip
[5/20/2011 3:32:39 AM] Processing zip file G:\Backup\Email\Mail\148_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook_Personal Store.zip
[5/20/2011 3:32:39 AM] Error: Failed to restore <Microsoft Outlook>\<Profiles>\<Outlook>\<Personal Store>\<Personal Folders (1)>. (srCreateError)
[5/20/2011 3:32:39 AM] Error: Failed to restore <Microsoft Outlook>\<Profiles>\<Outlook>\<Personal Store>\<Archive Folders (2)>. (srCreateError)
[5/20/2011 3:32:39 AM] Processing zip file G:\Backup\Email\Mail\148_Microsoft Outlook_Profiles_Outlook.zip
[5/20/2011 3:32:39 AM] Error: Failed to restore \. (srCreateError)
[5/20/2011 3:32:39 AM] Error: Failed to restore \. (srCreateError)
[5/20/2011 3:32:39 AM] Processing zip file G:\Backup\Email\Mail\148_Microsoft Outlook.zip
Restored 3 file(s) and 0 folder(s)
Restore operation finished at 5/20/2011 3:32:39 AM with 4 errors

WDK

Post by WDK »

I figured out the issue. I did have Outlook installed, but never did any initial set up for it. I didn't want to have any email get loaded and then have the restore overwrite new email.

I opened Outlook, let it take me through the steps of setting it up with some 'dummy' data so none of the real mail was coming in. Then I tried the restore process again and it finished without errors. I opened Outlook and every bit of data was there. Appointment reminders came up, and emails flowed into my inbox.

I do not know the ins and outs of your product, but i do know that this information was not in your user manual. It should be, or it should be listed on your FAQ page.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

No setup of a dummy account is necessarily in Outlook. It is possible that the setup for Outlook was not finished.
We just tried it here and it works fine.

What version of Microsoft Outlook do you use?
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

WDK

Post by WDK »

Use Office 2010.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

I installed Outlook 2010 and backed up the email account I just created using the customized prefix you used.
I deleted the Outlook email account and I deleted all backup jobs and settings from Backup4all.
After that I open from backup destination the .bkc catalog file.
I restored the account and all went well, I was not able to reproduce the problem.
The email account was correctly restored.

WDK

Post by WDK »

Ultimately I uninstalled Office 2010, reinstalled it, reinstalled Backup4All and was able to restore the files. Thank you for your help and your followup. I am quite impressed with the support provided for this product!