preparing shadow copy . . . please wait

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Adrian (Softland)

Re: preparing shadow copy . . . please wait

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

@ToddBooth
Please try to find what is different when the problem appears as we don't have such problems here.

@GerryB
Please send us the last backup log from View->Job Logs->Last backup log to support[at]backup4all[dot]com
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

net_user

213 is buggy

Post by net_user »

Hello.

I have the same issue with Build 213, this is 100% issue with this build since I had no problem with previous one and once I uninstalled 213 and setup the older one I have no problem.

Vista x64, when preparing the shadow copy the program takes about a minute and then VSS crashes and Windows displays a dialog to close the service or debug it.

koscheve

Post by koscheve »

I'm having the same issue since installing the 213 version. However, the "preparing shadow copies" never finishes on scheduled backups only. If I run it manually the same backup works. I am running Vista x64 with all the latest updates installed. Previous versions work fine, only the 213 version causes the problem.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

We will make a new release these days and the backup open files feature will be improved.
In the meantime, you can uncheck the "Backup open files" option from Backup Properties->Advanced page.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

The new release 4.4.214, including the fix is available for download.

Oliver

Post by Oliver »

hi,
i just installed 214. problem still exists, additionally my windows 7 32 bit freezes each time backup4all is preparing the shadow copy.
please fix it, i will downgrade now...
oliver

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please send us:
- the .bkc catalog file for that job. You can find the .bkc file if you go to View->Open folder->Destination folder.
- the .log file for the last backup job. To find it, please go to: View->Job Logs->Last Backup Log.
Put the files into a zip archive and send them to support[at]backup4all[dot]com

jscrenci

Post by jscrenci »

I am running Bit Defender Internet Security, backup4all lite, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I too have the same problem with it hanging on preparing shadow copy. How do I downgrade to a previous version that works?

jscrenci

Post by jscrenci »

:D FIXED! :D I think i have the answer! Under advanced settings, I unchecked use local catalog and it is working fine! I suspect if you have not produced a catalog (maybe because you have not run a backup before), then this program will just "sit and spin".

:arrow: Support folks: please post your assessment of this fix. Thank you.

Zoriel

Post by Zoriel »

Hello, i am having the same Issue running Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Bitdefender Internet Security 2010, Backup4all Professional 4.4 Build 214.

Unfortunately, the "Local Catalog" Fix didnt work for me.