Newbie's queries on Advanced Options

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Annette

Newbie's queries on Advanced Options

Post by Annette »

I'm very new to this recently purchased software and rather new to computing, so pl. bear with me if what I ask is probably very basic.
I refer to the *Lite* version running both on XP and Windows 7, and have some doubts on the use of certain Advanced Options.
My aim is having a backup of desktop's and laptop's Data files on two different external drives (as a precautionary measure). I intend to use the *fast* Mirror option and two separate Backup Jobs, Job#1 for Drive 1 and Job#2 for Drive 2.
1.) Is it right for me to select *use local catalogs*?
2.) I have already run the first backup (the full Mirror) with the CRC32 criteria selected - but as it does slow things down so much, can I untick the CRC32 criteria item for future runs without having to recreate the backup jobs?
3.) The *Not indexed* criteria, does it refer to ONLY those files that are not indexed, or to files that are both indexed and not indexed? If it's the latter, I imagine I'd better tick this item, as I'm in doubt which are my indexed files,
So grateful to anyone for a confirmation on the above points - your answer would make me rest easy at last! Cheers all.
Annette

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Newbie's queries on Advanced Options

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. If you use a different destination drive for each job, you should keep that option selected.
2. Are you sure the CRC32 criteria is the reason for the slow backup speed?
3. That criteria refers to files not indexed only.

Annette

Post by Annette »

Thanks a million for your quick reply. Well, may-be the CRC criteria did not slow me down that much :) - however my doubt stands: if it was turned on when doing my first backup, can I turn it off on subsequent runs without the need to recreate the same backup job from scratch (and may-be re-doing my full mirror backup)?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Yes, you can disable it, which means that criteria won't be considered when detecting the files to be backed up.