Minor issues with 4.6.250 installer when upgrading from earlier version

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Panos

Minor issues with 4.6.250 installer when upgrading from earlier version

Post by Panos »

A few days ago I upgraded to version 4.6.250 from version 4.5.243. While the upgrade succeeded, the upgrade process gave me the occasional pause, so from the user's perspective it wasn't seamless.

Here's a few minor issues I noticed:

1. The first screen of the installer provides me with some configuration options (e.g. accept defaults) but nowhere does it mention that it has found an earlier version already installed and that it WILL MAINTAIN my current settings and backups (which, of course, it does) This made me pause for a second. I would also suggest that the installer check whether a _later_ version has already been installed and warn the user if they want to proceed (the user should be able to decide since they may want to revert to an earlier version in case of problems, but they should be warned in case they accidentally overwrite the current installation)

2. My Backup4All was already running and the installer asked me whether I wanted it to stop the executable. I said yes, but the installer failed to stop the program. I had to manually exit it. [My B4A is configured to start at Windows startup]

3. At the end of the installation, the installer asked me whether I wanted it to start the application. I checked the checkbox but the installer failed to automatically start the application. I had to do it manually.

I am running Vista Ultimate SP2 32-bit.

Thank you

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Minor issues with 4.6.250 installer when upgrading from earlier version

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. When updating the program, the configuration files are not overwritten but imported. If you want, you can go back to the previous version, (which is not recommended anyway) by uninstalling the new version and install the old one.

2. We need more details about the Backup4all status. Was there any backup running or another action in progress?

3. We will fix that problem.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Panos

Post by Panos »

Regarding #2 - no, there was no backup or cleanup action at the time. It is possible, though, that I still had open the window which initially notified me about the available update and from which I downloaded the new version.

Thanks

Panos

Post by Panos »

I installed the new version 4.6.251 and had the same issues. The installer still failed to close the running process backup4all.exe.
No backups or any other actions were running at that time. Note that all backups have as target an external USB HDD which is currently connected.

I have created a file with screenshots of the installation dialogs and process and thread information of the running backup4all.exe from Sysinternals' Process Explorer.

I tried to upload it as an attachment but your site rejects all the file formats I have tried (.docx, .doc, .pdf, .html) Which formats are acceptable? Alternatively, please give me an email address I can send the information.

Thanks

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please send us the files to support[at]backup4all[dot]com
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html