Local Catelogue file is delete if destination changed

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Fletch

Local Catelogue file is delete if destination changed

Post by Fletch »

Hi All, I have recently purchased Backup4all Proffessional and have a problem after moving a large backup to a new ftp location.
Basically when I change the Destination details in the ftp section, I get a message say that the local catelogue file will be delete
This means that the whole backup starts again instead of carrying on incrementally so to speak.

Does anyone know how to work around this as it seems silly to delete the catelogue that Backup4all uses to analyse how many files have changes since the last
successfull backup....

Much appreciate your help on this

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Local Catelogue file is delete if destination changed

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. Before changing the destination, please go to Backup Properties->Advanced page.
2. Uncheck the "Use local catalogs" option and press Save.
3. Move the backup files and the .bkc catalog file to the new destination
4. Open again Backup Properties and change the destination to FTP.
5. Press Save. The backup catalog (.bkc file) will be recognized and loaded from FTP.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Hi there Support, I must apologies for not getting back to the forum for some time now.. I have been distracted with out issues ;-)

Many thanks for your help on this matter and I will try suggestions later this eveing and report back how things went :)

Many thanks
Fletch

Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Hello Support....
Okay I have carried out the instructions that you kindly offered in previous post but with out success :-(
I have unchecked the "Use local Catelogue" option in Advanced section and saved it.
Then I have moved the backup files to the new destination (this had already been done previously!)..
But when I then change the destination to the new ftp site the same dialog comes up stating that the local catelogue will be delete and thus deleting all the historic information of the backup and it treats the backup as new :-(

What could possibly be going wrong and how can I resolve this ?

Many thanks for your help in advance.
P.S
This is becoming an urgent situation...

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

That scenario is tested and there are clients using it without problems.

Here is another way to do that:
1. Delete the backup job from Backup4all.
2. Go to File->Open backup from->FTP server
3. Configure the server and press Show.
4. Select the backup catalog and press Open.
5. When asked if you want to change the destination to FTP, select yes.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Hi Support, okay I think I tried that solution and had the same problem, but I will give this another go when the latest back finishes. I decided to bite the bullet and just do the whole backup agian with the new ftp destination, it then deleted the local catelogue and you end up backing up like first time grrrr!
Anyway I'm backing up 50gb + and it will probably take 2 weeks at the internet speeds I'm working with :x

Thanks for your help
Andy

ckarnik

Post by ckarnik »

I was dealing with this exact scenario and found that 2nd method works best when trying to change the destination of a backup job.

Assuming current destination directory look like this:
c:\oldDestination
c:\oldDestination\my backup.bkc
c:\oldDestination\my backup <-- where the existing backup files are

Changing local destination directory:

1. Do not change any settings in the GUI for the current backup job.

2. Create a new destination directory. (ie c:\newDestination)

3. Crete a sub directory under the new destination folder that mimics backup job's folder name. (ie: c:\newDestination\my backup)

4. Copy current catalog file to the root of new destination folder (ie: c:\oldDestination\my backup.bkc --> c:\newDestination\my backup.bkc)

5. OPTIONAL: Copy old backup data to new destination folder (ie: c:\oldDestination\my backup --> c:\newDestination\my backup)
....NOTE: THIS IS OPTIONAL ...there is no need for old backup files in the new destination folder ...yes, even if the backup job was incremental

6. Delete the backupjob (yes it must be done)

7. Go to File->Open backup -> load your .bkc file from the new destination (ie: c:\newDestination\my backup.bkc)

8. Answer yes to change of destination prompt.

9. Just Re-schedule the newly created backup job and you are done!

Enjoy,
ck