Large backups to multiple destinations

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
sunilmishra

Large backups to multiple destinations

Post by sunilmishra »

I've got two backups, different data with different rates of change. The less frequently changing backup is ~400GB. And the more frequently changing one is ~200GB. I'd like to backup to external drive as well as a cloud location.

I understand how to use backup tags to get the right schedules and execution sequences. But I have several questions to which I haven't been able to find definite answers.

1. Let's say I backup to external drive daily, and backup to cloud twice a week. Is there a way to inhibit the daily backup from running if the cloud backup is running at the same time? I would like to make sure I get a consistent backup set and wouldn't want the normal daily backup to overwrite some of the backup files while they are being copied to the cloud.

2. By default backup4all likes generating large zip files. I have compression and encryption enabled. With a large zip file and azure as destination, if cloud backup is interrupted, will the whole zip file start uploading again from scratch? Another option I was exploring was splitting the backup file into smaller 20GB chunks. But I've had the split process running all night and it is still only half done. Is there a way to get splitting to work faster? Splitting has been running a lot longer than the backup to external drive itself. Can I avoid creating a large single zip file and then splitting it and tradeoff against having precise chunk sizes?

Right now it seems I would be better off having completely independent backup jobs, one for cloud and one to external drive. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Sunil

sunilmishra

Re: Large backups to multiple destinations

Post by sunilmishra »

Splitting files on my backup finished at some point today. Testing that backup however failed. The backup password I had used doesn't seem to work for all the files in the backup set, only some of them.

My impression so far is that file splitting is pretty borked.

Sunil

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Large backups to multiple destinations

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. You can use the same tag for both jobs.
For the days when they should both run, use a scheduled task to run the tag. This way they will be executed one after the other.
For the days when only the backup to external drive should run, use another scheduled task to start only that job (not the tag).

2. For splits, please use the "Create independent splits" option from Backup Properties->Compression page.
That will create the first zip of 200 GB and it will upload that zip to cloud before creating the next zip.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html