Hard Drive Seed

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
lespederson

Hard Drive Seed

Post by lespederson »

I have a TB hard drive - internal, I copied all data to it just by copy paste. Now I want to use B4all pro. to Mirror any new files to it. B4all seems to want to do an entire backup all over. How can I get it to just read the folders etc on the drive and send it a backup without having to re-do the "seed". AND It is a drive that I took out of the computer and put into the company server. this server is accessible over the VPN and has a drive mapping to the shared folders I want the backup to go to. I would rather not pull the HDD out of the server and bring it back to the local computer and start over.

thanks

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Hard Drive Seed

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You cannot make Backup4all to recognize the existing files in destination as part of the backup.
Backup4all uses the backup catalog to determine which files were backed up.

In your case, I suggest you to create a filter (in Backup Properties->Filters) to include only files with "Date modified" >a given date. If "Fast mirror" option is also selected, only new and modified files since last time will be backed up.

lespederson

Post by lespederson »

Oh, so this date filter will then not need a catalog of whats on the backup drive currently. OR can I use only the archive bit, and ignore whats on the backup drive, then every time a file changes and the archive bit get set, I could just send it. This is old school I know.
thanks
Les

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

This data filter will ignore all source files not modified since a given date (which are supposed to be already copied in destination).
Only the new and modified files since that date will be backed up by Backup4all, creating a new catalog for that.