Filter Confusion (revisited)

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
CSil

Filter Confusion (revisited)

Post by CSil »

Newly registered user of Backup4All Pro. Used/tested/abused it for the thirty day trial and decided to register it since it's worth it.

I do have ONE problem I can't seem to figure out, although I located a thread of a similar title back in October; unfortunately, it didn't clarify anything for me.

I've added some file/folder exclusions to the default ones so that my exclude filter is as follows:

Filters:
Main:
Include filter:
Include all files.
Exclude filter:
BACKUP4ALL
( Folder name = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Softland\*')
OR
Hiberfil on System Drive - use as exclude
( File name = 'hiberfil.sys'
AND Folder name = '%SystemDrive%')
OR
Log Files
( File name = '*.log|*.log1|*.log2|*.log3'
AND Folder name = 'C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\*')

OR
Pagefile on System Drive - use as exclude
( File name = 'pagefile.sys'
AND Folder name = '%SystemDrive%')
OR
Temporary Files - use as exclude
( File name = '*.tmp|*.temp|*.bak|*.chk|*.bkc-journal')
OR
Temporary Folders - use as exclude
( Folder name = '%temp%|%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files|?:\System Volume Information|?:\Recycler|?:\Recycled|%SystemRoot%\Temp\*')
OR
WSUS
( Folder name = 'C:\WSUS\*')

What I can't figure out is why Backup4All continues to try and backup *.log files, as shown from a log clip below:

[1/11/2011 9:28:32 PM] Warning: Skipping file C:\PROGRAM FILES\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\First Storage Group\E000000AD90.log
Source error (code 2). The system cannot find the file specified.

I get about 50-60 of these sometimes (different .LOG files, obviously) which add considerable "warnings" to the log. I know that in the above case, the file has likely been deleted since the last Fast Mirrored backup; but even if that were the case, why does Backup4All even try to back it up if it's supposed to be excluded?

Anyone have any ideas what I'm missing? I have a feeling it's blatantly obvious, but I can't seem to wrap my head around what is incorrect about the filter.

Thanks for any information.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Filter Confusion (revisited)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Here is the problem:
Log Files
( File name = '*.log|*.log1|*.log2|*.log3'
AND Folder name = 'C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\*')

You indicated Backup4all to exclude the *.log files only from "C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\*"
The warning message you receive refers to "C:\PROGRAM FILES\..."
The above two filters must be defined individually: one for files and the other for folders.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

CSil

Re: Filter Confusion (revisited)

Post by CSil »

Support:

Huge "duh" here! Thank you very much. I had this feeling it was totally obvious but I swear the obvious completely eluded me. I'll change that variable immediately. Thanks again!