Fast Mirror into separate folders?

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
jstradling

Fast Mirror into separate folders?

Post by jstradling »

I'm trying to set up a daily backup job that will backup just new or changed files into separate folders each day (I want to maintain old versions of modified files). I thought Fast Mirror with Date subfolders would do it but now I see that the date subfolders cause it to ignore the Fast Mirror and just do daily full mirrors.
I don't want to do a full/incremental/differential backup policy as I'd like the files to be immediately accessible without having to perform a restore to get to them.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could set this up?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Fast Mirror into separate folders?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

When using the Mirror backup type, Backup4all keeps tracking only of the last backup version.
If you use tags that will create a different folder in destination (e.g. backup number, backup date etc) a complete backup will be executed each day.

Blade

Post by Blade »

I have a similar problem:
I have a total of 14 different backup jobs (mirrors), half of the jobs are identical except for the destination.
This allows me to store the backups on different destinations (two external hard drives). To schedule them better, I gave jobs 1-7 (Ext-HDD1) the tag "Destination_1" and jobs 8-14 (Ext-HDD2) the tag "Destination_2".

When I restart the jobs, your software always creates a new folder for me with the same name and (2) then (3) etc.
This is very confusing. How can I work around this? :?
I just want to be able to save my data to multiple disks with a standard mirror job.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Does this problem happens for each of your backup jobs?
Please send us the following files to support[at]backup4all[dot]com:
- the .bkc catalog file (from the backup destination)
- the logs for that job (from the logs folder)

Blade

Post by Blade »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I can't send you any logs because I deleted all logs and formatted the hard drives. After that I restarted all backup jobs.
Now it works!
I have no idea what the error was, sorry.
Maybe it's related to the previous versions of Backup4all where the big backup jobs froze, that happened to me a lot!
Maybe the software had a problem with that and by restarting the jobs cleanly (so that new logs and catalogs were created) it works now.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

I'm glad the problem is solved for you.