Evaluation Questions

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
raphaelmsx

Evaluation Questions

Post by raphaelmsx »

Hi.

I just downloaded and installed Backup4all, my intent is to use it with google drive as destination and only with incremental backups.

I configured and it worked perfectly for all the test backups and restores I did, but I have some questions:

How to disable the independent splits function? The option to uncheck it is always grayed out.

I read on the manual about the "alternate zip mode" but couldn't understand it well, if using google drive as destination, which is better, leave it on or off?

About creating the temporary files, does it create directly on the destination (in my case google drive) or first in a local folder? I'm asking this, because I could have a very large file to backup, and not enough local space for temporary files (but enough space on destination).

Is there an option to manually merge the backup files, or is it just when running the backup job?

The option "Verify backup integrity before execution", if it's checked, does it means that if I have a very large backup (say, 2TB), it will first download the backup, verify it locally, and then proceed?

And the "test after backup", does it works the same way with cloud destinations?

Thanks.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Evaluation Questions

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Because you have multiple questions, I will put the answers bellow as Q-A:
Q1: How to disable the independent splits function? The option to uncheck it is always grayed out.
A1: The independent splits option can be enabled automatically if you use encryption.

Q2: I read on the manual about the "alternate zip mode" but couldn't understand it well, if using google drive as destination, which is better, leave it on or off?
A2: Use alternate zipping mode - If not checked (default zipping mode), each file is compressed in blocks that are immediately added to the final zip file. If checked (alternate zipping mode), each file is compressed in blocks in a temporary file. When the whole file is compressed in the temporary file, it is added to the final zip file.

Q3: About creating the temporary files, does it create directly on the destination (in my case google drive) or first in a local folder? I'm asking this, because I could have a very large file to backup, and not enough local space for temporary files (but enough space on destination).
A3: The zip file is created in the local temp folder, which is on C: drive by default. If you don't have enough free disk space in temp, please set a split size for backup, in Backup Properties->Compression page.

Q4: Is there an option to manually merge the backup files, or is it just when running the backup job?
A4: The backups cannot be merged manually but only when running the backup job.

Q5: The option "Verify backup integrity before execution", if it's checked, does it means that if I have a very large backup (say, 2TB), it will first download the backup, verify it locally, and then proceed?
A5: The tests on cloud destinations (including Google Drive) is made without downloading the zip file.

Q6: And the "test after backup", does it works the same way with cloud destinations?
A6: Yes, the same as the one from Q5.

raphaelmsx

Post by raphaelmsx »

Hi, thanks for the answers.

Q1: How to disable the independent splits function? The option to uncheck it is always grayed out.
A1: The independent splits option can be enabled automatically if you use encryption.

Q1.2: Ok, but how to disable it? I know there's an option, but it's checked and I cannot disable, regardless if I choose encryption on or off.

Q4: Is there an option to manually merge the backup files, or is it just when running the backup job?
A4: The backups cannot be merged manually but only when running the backup job.

Q4.2: Ok, but can I change the number of incremental backups on an existing job? I mean, suppose I have a incremental job with one full and four incremental, and it's going on for months... and then I decided to increment or decrease the number, is it possible?

Thanks.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

A1.2. You cannot uncheck it if it's grayed out. The options you used requires the splits to be independent.

A4.2. Yes, you can select how many backup versions to keep, in Backup Properties->Type->Storage