Error: Backup aborted. Reason: Cannot add file...to.... Zip Error: Stream Read Error.

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
sumitsimlai

Error: Backup aborted. Reason: Cannot add file...to.... Zip Error: Stream Read Error.

Post by sumitsimlai »

Hi,
This month I downloaded a trial version of this software for backing up and tried it on smaller data for backup. Having been satisfied, I then purchased the software. And then started my dilemma for which I need help to resolve the issues cropping up one after another. I have been in touch with Technical Support and they said they are willing to help out through TeamViewer but unfortunately Romanian work timings do not match with mine (I am in India) and I am unwilling to take days off from work to sit at home and go through it. Hence I’m approaching this forum.

The backup is set on a WiFi network configuration. Basically, the following components are in my setup:
1. Modem
2. Linksys WRT54G router
3. A 3TB NAS Drive Seagate GoFlex Home – this contains most of my technical and important personal data
4. A 1 TB Seagate FreeAgent Drive – this contains all of my family pictures
5. A 500GB Western Digital My Book Drive - this contains all of my family videos + movies
6. A 4 TB Seagate Expansion
7. A D-Link 4-port USB Hub Port

Acronis couldn’t resolve this problem for me so I had taken a refund. I believe Backup4all software is more versatile so I bought it. But to be honest, b4a had also failed during the trial period but before I could find a resolution the trial period was over. I am now determined to make it work.

I’ve been trying to take backup of my data, pictures and videos to the destination 4TB Seagate Expansion Drive. The backup is successful when folders have files with smaller file sizes but the moment I try to backup folders with large files such as videos, pictures, large data files etc. the backup fails with errors.

Success with folders having smaller file sizes:

I have been trying to back up, in one go, the following three sub-folders of the main folder called Video as below:
- Home Videos (341 GB, 0 folders, 208 files)
- Movies (4.9 GB, 28 folders, 63 files)
- RealDownloader (1.77 GB, 0 folders, 57 files)

This morning I thought of reconfirming my hypothesis that the software works ok with smaller folders. So I just stuck to the smallest sub-folder above “RealDownloader”. The backup worked like a breeze.

The software found all files and folders to be backed up and also found the destination on the network:
- [20-11-2013 22:12:43] Folders found to backup: 32
- [20-11-2013 22:12:43] Files found to backup: 360 (389.31 GB)

1. Errors:
a) [20-11-2013 22:12:43] Preparing shadow copy.
[20-11-2013 22:12:46] Could not create Volume Shadow Copy. Locked files will not be copied.
b) Backup aborted. Reason: Cannot add file "W:\Video\Home Videos\05 DOX Nostalgia 2010.wmv" to "\\GOFLEX_HOME\External Storage\Seagate Expansion Drive\Videos\1_W.zip".
Zip error: Stream read error.
Backup aborted at 23-11-2013 04:49:50 with 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

2. While investigating after I saw the error, I found that the destination folder(s) on the network ended up auto renaming itself/themselves, thus not allowing the software to find the specified destination path. For example:
- Old folder: Videos; New folder: Videos-1
- Old folder: Pictures; New folder: Pictures-1

I am unable to attach any files for upload - cant understand why. Hope someone can help solve the problem.
Last edited by sumitsimlai on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Error: Backup aborted. Reason: Cannot add file...to...Zip Error: Stream Read Error. Backup aborted.

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

In Backup Properties->Compression, please split the backup to get smaller files in destination.
Set the split size at 4 GB and run again the backup.
Do you still have the problem?

sumitsimlai

Re: Error: Backup aborted. Reason: Cannot add file...to... Zip Error: Stream Read Error.

Post by sumitsimlai »

No I didn't try but I did have a good careful read of the User Manual and found that for LAN backup, certain settings were needed that I wasn't following, hence the trouble that I was having was with "Stream Read Error".

Under:
Backup Properties->Compression, I checked "Use alternate zipping mode" and lo behold, it has now been 13 hours and the backup is still running alright. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

The current status is as follows:

Pictures:
Elapsed time: 12:47
Estimated time: 46:21

Videos:
Elapsed time: 12:59
Estimated time: 324:57

Hoping that the backup works out successfully at the end of 324 hours, two important questions comes up though now:

1. Windows Update and some other software may need to reboot the computer. I want to be sure that the backup will pick up just from where it had left. While I have made a regedit entry change to avoid an auto reboot, I would still need to reboot the PC for the registry to be effective.

The help file states as below:
"How to stop the backup and continue it next time":

"The backup can be cancelled or stopped by pressing the specific button from application's toolbar.
The difference is: when pressing Cancel button, the backup is aborted immediately and the current backup will be lost.
When pressing the Stop button, the current file is processed, the backup catalogue is closed and saved. After that the backup is stopped. The stopping process could take few moments, according to the size of the current file processed.

The advantage of stopping a backup (instead of cancelling it) is that you can continue it next time. When you run the backup next time, only the remaining files will be backed up."

And this last statement is key to my question: How do you run the backup next time so as to continue from the previous session? Somehow I am unable to succeed. I am able to stop the backup midway, shutdown the computer and restart B4A. But then I am unable to figure out what button or menu item to select to continue from the previous session. I tried first by pressing the BACKUP button but it seemed it would start from the very beginning. Then I tried, in another instant, to press OPEN button select the .bkc file. That would open a window asking "Confirm: There is already a backup job with the "Pictures" name. Do you want Backup4all to rename the imported job? YES, NO, NO TO ALL, YES TO ALL."

Help please?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Error: Backup aborted. Reason: Cannot add file...to.... Zip Error: Stream Read Error.

Hi,

Let's say you have 10 large files to be backed up. When backing up them, you want to stop the backup after 4 files were processed. Pressing the Stop button will close the catalog and stop the backup. Only 4 files were marked as backed up in the backup catalog. The other 6 files will be backed up next time.
When you came back to your computer and want to continue the backup, you press again the Backup button. Backup4all will look in the sources and will find the other 6 files to be backed up.

sumitsimlai

Re: Error: Backup aborted. Reason: Cannot add file...to.... Zip Error: Stream Read Error.

Post by sumitsimlai »

Ah well. Thanks for the clarity that all I need to do is to press the big BACUP button and not OPEN a bkc file.

just for my knowledge, could you please tell me what is the purpose of the OPEN menu and why would anyone select a bkc file at all?
Regards

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

There are cases when you want to move a backup catalog from another computer.
To load it in Backup4all, you need to open the .bkc catalog file.