Does Block Backup Work for Open Outlook PST Files?

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
nuspieds

Does Block Backup Work for Open Outlook PST Files?

Post by nuspieds »

HI,

I'm running Backup4All 5.0 Build 414 on Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1. I am Administrator and, yes, VSS is running.

I am trying to take advantage of using Block backup but it is NOT working for my open Outlook PST file (i.e., I have Outlook running). I get the error message "Cannot read block...The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".

So is this supposed to work or not? If I disable Block backup then the PST file gets backed up; however, it is the entire file. The purpose of using Block backup is to only backup the changed portion of the file, for often-changing files. As per the Help documentation:

Block backup

When backing up large files which are modified in small parts (as .PST files), it is useful to back up only the modified part (block) of the file, without backing up the entire file every time. This way you will get smaller and faster backups. The size of the block can be determined automatically or manually by settings a smaller/larger size for the block size.

So, does Block backup work with OPEN Outlook PST files or not? If so, what are the specific settings required to get it to work? Again, I'm running Win 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1 as Administrator and VSS is running.

Thanks!

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Does Block Backup Work for Open Outlook PST Files?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

We found the problem and we will fix it.

nuspieds

Re: Does Block Backup Work for Open Outlook PST Files?

Post by nuspieds »

Thank you!

It is definitely a very important fix and I look forward to it.