create/import a backup job (encrypted archive)

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
majuebv

create/import a backup job (encrypted archive)

Post by majuebv »

Dear support team,

in our company, we have two "backup scenarios":
1. Notebook users have USB drives to store their backups
2. Desktop users store their backup on the local office server

As we have a lot of users who will not know how to create a backup job (especially with the right target drive/share), we would like to create a script that generates a default job. If I create a template ini file and use it as a parameter of Backup4All.exe, the job is imported and seems to work fine. My problem is: The backup needs to be encrypted and if possible, I don't want to use a default password that is the same for everyone. So my script will prompt for a password and then write it into the ini file, but this can't be done in clear text. For example:

The password "test" is saved as "BACKUP_PASSWORD=%E96D%D2E5%57D2%025B%93F8%8650%C1C6%C32C" in the ini file.

Here is my question: How can I encrypt a password to the format show above?

I have asked the same by email 'support at backup4all dot com'... sorry for the "double request". If I get a reply by mail, I will update the post here. Maybe somebody else finds this useful.

Best regards,
Manuel

majuebv

Re: create/import a backup job (encrypted archive)

Post by majuebv »

issue solved. i just got the reply:
The thing is that you can define/generate the ini files with a non-encrypted password.
After loading the ini file in Backup4all and running that backup job or just re-saving the backup job, the password in ini will be replaced with the encrypted one.
Backup4all can detect if there is a non-encrypted password and will encrypt it.
stupid me. i thought i had tested this.